3.

In Boca Raton, Florida where even in December residents are wearing shorts and dealing with eighty degree weather, are many beaches full of visitors who are dying to get a view of the "gorgeous blue water."

One specific beach that stretches a lot farther than it does wide, is the city's prized dog beach, Sandy Shores. Where each day furry friends of every size can be seen.

Just off this beach, up on stilts, is a large building that looks very much like a beach resort. With its turquoise blue color and bright white roof and deck, the place looks like somewhere you'd book a room in and stay up all night drinking margaritas.

Really though, this eye catching building was home to Boca Raton's number one veterinarian practice, Sandy Shores Animal Clinic. Owned and ran by head veterinarian himself, Tony Brighton.

Who was also known as my boss of four years, and my mom's "not really" boyfriend of two.

The lanky, tall man at age forty five didn't look as old as he really was. Since his hair was still fully blond and his beard not even a tiny bit grey.

"A perfect catch," sighed lots of the ladies who came in the clinic daily. I didn't see it, but it's been said.

Tony was a pretty cool guy, and an even cooler boss. Most people would fire someone who showed up late multiple times, swore in front of customers on numerous occasions, and accidently let a cage of new born miniature poodles loose. Not Tony though. Instead he always gave me another chance and laughed along with me.

The bad only thing about working with Tony, besides the fact that I've seen him without a shirt on and sneaking out of our small home too many times to count in the mornings, was that when he was stressed, everybody was.

So walking into work this morning, I could already feel the tension in the air as Tony and our head receptionist, Lucy, looked up at me.

"Ava Metchons, here early for once? Someone mark the calendar, it's a miracle."

I rolled my eyes at Lucy, a twenty five year old, pregnant, red head who was born and raised in Georgia, while I walked up to the counter.

"I left late actually and surprisingly there wasn't much traffic."

It was oddly true. The short drive usually takes me thirty minutes due to all the work commuters and beach goers. Today though, the roads were less packed than usual.

"Must be since the summer is nearly over," Tony mumbled. "Wonder how that's going to affect business."

Lucy shot me a look and I fought the urge to roll my eyes for what seemed like the millionth time today.

Business was never bad here. There could be a category three hurricane heading right towards the city and we'd still have a line out the door. Tony was only making the comments because he was stressed about today.

"So when is the hot shot getting here?" I asked while walking behind the counter and shoving my purse next to Lucy's.

Tony pinched the bridge of his nose and shook his head, "Ava, please. Not today. Just be a nice, happy worker, who never speaks in sarcasm."

"Pretty much the opposite of you," Lucy chuckled.

"God, you and mom both. I can't promise all that, but I will promise not to shove him over the railing."

The two of them looked at me, very unconvinced.

"Jeez, tough crowd..."

Tony groaned and walked away. No doubt, heading in to his office to get ready for later, or sit on the deck right outside of the room and smoke a cigarette. He thought he was sneaky, but he really wasn't.

I jumped up onto the counter and sat with my legs folded. I shivered a bit, since the marble was freezing cold against the part of my legs that my jean shorts didn't cover.

"His agent said everyone would be here around one. Hunter apparently didn't want to come until after they have had lunch."

I scoffed as Lucy handed me a magazine. "So he's a spoiled brat."

"The good lord blessed him though, despite his attitude," she laughed.

I looked down at the cover to see the face of no other than Hunter Lane, with his crystal blue eyes, midnight black hair, and a jaw line so sharp you'd get cut from just touching it.

And this wasn't what I had instantly thought of while looking at the picture of him attempting the smolder look.

No, this was the exact description printed right under the headline of, "Hunter Lane, the new heart breaker."

"He's alright. Too bad what looks good on the outside doesn't make up for the rotten core on the inside," I sneered while dropping the damn thing.

"Amen to that."

A sudden, loud knock on the front door stopped Lucy's and my conversation.

I looked over at the clock and saw that it was now eight, also known as opening time around here at Sandy Shores.

"I'll get the door," I sighed while sliding off the counter.

"And I'll get the sign in book... You ready, Ava?"

I glanced over my shoulder at her as I walked towards the door, "Not at all, but there's not much we can do. There are dogs to be groomed."

"And cats to be spayed."

My face scrunched up just as our customers knocked on the door again.

"Thanks for that image," I mumbled just before pulling open the door and plastering on a fake smile.

"Hi, welcome to Sandy Shores! Lucy can help you right up at the desk."

And just like that, the day we've all be dreading, had started.