2.

"Did you know the largest dinosaurs were actually herbivores?"

"You've told me that before, Em."

"What? No, I haven't!"

I chuckled and took a sip of my coffee while Emily continued to share her dinosaur facts. The oatmeal was in the microwave cooking as the two of us sat at the breakfast nook.

"Okay... how about this! Pterodactyls were not dinosaurs. They were actually flying reptiles."

The timer dinged and I stood up to get out food. "That I didn't know. Where'd you find that fact?"

"It was on Discovery Kids."

I nodded while grabbing the two bowls from the microwave.

This was a typical morning for me, since Emily usually woke up when I did. Our breakfasts together were actually quite fun and one of my favorite parts of the day. Mom and Gram were never awake so it was something just us sisters shared.

Em grinned as I set the bowl down in front of her.

"And also, bigger eggs didn't mean bigger dinosaurs. Really big ones could lay the tiniest of eggs."

I quickly got a spoonful of the oatmeal that had one of the marshmallow eggs in it and held it in the air.

"As small as this?"

She giggled, "No way, Av! I didn't mean micro little!"

I chuckled and took the bite. Instantly regretting it though since it was still incredibly hot.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit. Hot oatmeal!"

"Oh... that's four dollars in the swear jar," my sister snickered.

I rolled my eyes and took a sip of my barely warm coffee again. "Don't tell anyone and those four dollars could buy you a nice ice cream sundae once I get off work."

Her face lit up and she instantly nodded, "Deal!"

I smiled before getting another bite, remembering this time to let it cool off a bit first.

"Do you get off at your usual time," Emily asked finally taking her own bite.

It was a Friday, which meant I was free to leave work at five, since I usually was there at opening. The clinic was never busy Friday nights, so less coverage was needed.

However, due to this whole campaign thing going on, Tony told me that there was a high possibility I would be stuck there later.

"It depends on how long this model and his crew are going to be there. I don't exactly want to be there until eight, but if I am then I'll come swing by and we can go to Dairy Queen," I told her.

Em nodded and continued to eat her oatmeal.

The kitchen was quiet for a bit, until we heard rapid footsteps coming down the stairs.

"Ava Rae, what in god's name are you still doing here? It's seven thirty!"

I looked over at my mom who was rushing over to the breakfast nook, then down at my phone.

"Crap," I groaned while dropping my spoon into the bowl. The clattering noise echoed through the kitchen.

"See, this is exactly why I still nag you. You'd be lost without me," she scoffed while picking up my bowl and starting to eat it herself.

"We woke up late it why, mama."

I frowned at Emily as I slipped my feet into my converse. That traitor... She promised not to mention that.

"Again, Ava? What's next? Missing work entirely because you stayed up all night watching Netflix? Oh wait... you've done that before."

I grabbed my bag that was sitting on the counter and the keys to my car as she followed me towards the door.

"Don't act all innocent, mom. I heard you still yelling about the dance scores at three in the morning when I woke up to use the restroom. Knowing you, you didn't even sleep."

My mom gave me one of her signature death glares before opening the door for me

"Have a wonderful day at work, Ava. Try not to be too rude to the people in the clinic today." The sarcasm literally dripped from each word as she gave me a small grin.

"Yeah, no promises. I'm not going to take shit from some hot shot model just because he wants to look good to the public."

"That's a dollar in the swear jar, little girl!"

I chuckled as I rushed over to my Honda Civic and got in.

"I told you that you couldn't call me little girl anymore since I'm two inches taller than you now, mom!"

I didn't give her the opportunity to say anything else because I quickly started my car and backed out of the driveway. I did however see her flip me the bird before I sped away.

Turning onto the main road, I found myself still chuckling at what happened back at the house.

My relationship with my mom was something else, that's for sure. Although, despite the many arguments and intense amount of sarcasm exchanged between us, we loved each other. Our household of four wasn't picture perfect, but we all had each other's backs and found ourselves closer than ever since my dad passed away four years ago. No matter how many bumps in the road, my family was always there for me as I was for them.

Perhaps that's why I'm still at home, despite graduating from high school last May. It was now early September and only one week before school started again. Emily would be starting Kindergarten and be gone for the whole day, while I'll still be working at the clinic. Instead of going to U of F as planned, I decided to withdraw my admission from the veterinarian program and take a year off. My mom and Gram were pissed, to say the least.

"College is important," the both screamed once I told them.

It's just that lately I haven't felt like continuing school was right for me. And even though I've loved working at the clinic with Tony for years, I don't know if I really want to become a veterinarian or not. The world has a lot of other things I could do and see that I haven't yet.

Why must I make such an important decision now at eighteen?

Before I knew it, I was making a right onto the road where the clinic and dog beach was located and found myself arriving at work.

"And it's only seven fifty," I groaned to the quiet of my car. "Leaving at seven thirty really wasn't necessary, mom."

I wasn't going to tell her otherwise, though.

Instead, I killed the engine and slowly got out.

Ready to start this day, just so I could get it over with.