e i g h t y - t h r e e

The Great Room is packed. For once, instead of the king and queen being the focal point of the room, it's Peeta. On a slightly raised platform, Peeta, Delly, and I sit at an ornate table. I feel as if our positioning is deceitful. I'm on Peeta's right. I've always thought of right as a good thing. But so far he's spent the entire time talking to Delly. As if I don't already know what's coming.

I try to seem happy I look around the room, when secretly, my heart hurts. I physically hurt from sadness.

Caeser, of course, is in a corner, speaking into a camera, narrating the events as they happen.

Dee smiles and waves, and Finch winks at me. I give them a nod, still too nervous to speak. toward the back of the room, in deceptively clean clothes, August and Georgia, and some of the other Northern rebels sit at a table by themselves. Of course Peeta would want them here to meet his new wife. Little does he know, she's one of their own.

They survey the room tensely, as if they fear any second a guard will recognize them and attack. The guards don't seem to be paying attention though. In fact, this is the first time I've ever seen them look so poorly focused, eyes meandering around the room, several of the them are on edge. I even notice that one or two haven't shaved and look a little rough. It is a big event though. Maybe they're just rushed.

I turn and scan the faces of the Selected again, and this time my eyes land on Glimmer. I can see the clear question in her eyes: What are you so worried about? I give her a minuscule shake of my head, letting her know I lost. She sends me a thin smiles and mouths the words, 'It'll be okay.' I nod, and I try believing her. She turns away, laughing at what someone says; and I finally look to my right, taking in the face of a guard stationed closest to our table.

Gale is distracted though. He's looking around the room like so many of the other men in uniform, but he seems to be trying to think of something. It's as if he's doing a puzzle in his head, and I wish he would look my way, maybe try to explain wordlessly what he's so worried about, but he doesn't.

"Trying to arrange a time to meet later?" Peeta asks, and I whip my head back.

"No, of course not."

"It's not like it matters. Delly's family will be here this afternoon for a small celebration, and you will be going home." He's so cold, so distant. It's as if it's not even Peeta at all. "You can keep that house if you want. It's been paid for. I'd like my letters back though."

"I read them," I whisper. "I loved them."

He huffs as if it's a joke. "Don't know what I was thinking."

I can feel my face crumple. "Peeta, please-"

"Don't. You. Dare," Peeta orders through gritted teeth. "You put on a smile, and you wear it to the last second." I blink away the tears and give a weak smile. "That'll do. Don't let that slip until you leave the room, do you understand?" I nod. He looks into my eyes. "I'll be glad when you're gone."

After he spits out those last words, his smile returns and he faces Delly again. I stare into my lap for a minute, slowing my breathing and putting on a brave face. But, like the rest of my world right now, it's probably broken.

When I bring my eyes up again, I don't dare look directly at anyone. I don't think I can honor Peeta's last wish if I do. Instead, I focus on the walls of the room. It's because of that I notice when most of the guards step away from them at some signal I don't see. Pieces of red fabric are pulled out of pockets and tied across their foreheads.

I watch in confusion as a red-marked guard walks up behind Glimmer and puts a bullet squarely though the back of her head.

The screaming and gunfire exploded at once. Guttural shouts of pain fill the room, adding to the cacophony of chairs screeching, bodies hitting walls, and the stampede of people trying to escape as fast as they can in their heels and suits. The men shout as they fire, making the whole thing far more terrifying. I watch, stunned, seeing death more times in a handful of seconds then ought to be possible. I look for the king and queen, but they're gone. I'm gripped with fear, unsure if they've escaped or been captured.