s e v e n t y - s i x

Glimmer has become the champion of our newfound sisterhood. It's her idea to drag all our maids and a bunch of big mirrors down to the Women's Room and essentially spend the day making on another over. There's not much of a point, seeing as there's no way any of us could do a better job than the palace staff, especially me since I never wore makeup before this, but it's fun at the same time.

Delly holds the ends of my hair across my forehead. "Have you ever considered getting bangs?"

"A couple times," I admit, fluffing the fringe hanging above my eyes. "I never really had anyone other than my mom cut my hair though, and I would never let her give me bangs."

"I think you'd look cute," Delly says enthusiastically. "I cut some for my cousin once. I could do yours if you wants."

"Yeah," Glimmer chimes in. "Let her near your face with scissors, Katniss. Great idea."

We all burst into laughter. "We should take pictures!" Esim says.

"Anyone got a camera?" Glimmer asks. "I'm a pro at this."

"Peeta does!" Delly shouts. "Come here for a minute," she says to a maid, waving her over encouragingly. 

"Hold on," I say, grabbing some paper. "Okay, okay. 'Your Highest of Highnesses, the ladies of the Elite require immediately, the least fancy of your cameras for . . ."

Delly giggles, and Glimmer shakes her head.

"Oh! A study in feminine diplomacy," Esim adds.

"Is that a real thing?" Delly asks.

Glimmer tosses her hair. "Who cares?"

Maybe twenty minutes later, Peeta knocks on the door and pushes it open an inch. "Can I come in?"

Delly runs over. "No. We just want the camera." And she snatches it from his hand and closes the door in his face.

Glimmer falls on the floor, laughing.

"What are you doing in there?" he calls. But we're all too busy doubling over to answer.

There are lots of poses behind the shrubs and a thousand kisses blown, and Glimmer shows us all how to "find the light."

As I watch Delly and Esim lay on the couch, and Glimmer hop above them to snap more pictures, I feel happy and content. An unusual feeling for me, especially after these past few days.

-

My maids fix my hair after Esim's last terrible attempt at an up-do, when we hear a knock on the door.

Stacy rushes to answer it, and a guard whose name I don't know comes into the room. I've seen him around a lot, almost exclusively at the queen's side.

My maids curtsy as he walks closer, and I feel incredibly anxious and uncomfortable when he stops in front of me.

"Lady Katniss, the queen requires your presence at once," he says cooly.

"Is anything wrong?" I ask, stalling.

"The queen will answer your questions."

I swallow. Every awful thing runs through my head. My family is in danger. The queen has found a way to punish me quietly for the ways I've wronged her. She's discovered we snuck out of the palace.  Or, worst of all, someone has figured out my connections to Gale, and we're both about to pay for it.

I try to shake the fear out of my system. I don't want to show that in front of Queen Agatha.

"I'll follow you then." I stand and start walking behind the guard, giving one last glance to my maids. I see their worried faces, and now I wish I hadn't looked at all.