t h i r t y - t w o

I stand in line with the other girls in the massive foyer of the palace bouncing on the balls of my feet.

"Lady Katniss," Effie whispers, and that's all it takes to know I'm behaving in an unacceptable way. As our main tutor for the Selection, she takes our actions quite personally.

I try to still myself. I envy Effie and the staff and the handful of guards who are moving around the space for the fact that they're allowed to walk. If I could do the same, I know I'll feel much better.

Maybe if Peeta was here already it wouldn't be so bad. Then again, maybe it would make me more anxious. I still can't figure out why, after everything, he hasn't made any time for me lately.

"They're here!" I hear through the palace doors. I'm not the only one who makes a sound of delight.

"All right, ladies!" Effie calls. "Best behavior! Butlers and maids against the wall, please!"

We try to be lovely, regal young women, as Effie wants us to, but the second Delly's and Clove's parents make it through the doorway, it all falls apart. They run in screaming, and Clove dashes out of the line without a pause.

Glimmer's parents are more put together, though they clearly are thrilled to see their daughter. She breaks rank as well, but in a much more civilized way than Clove. I don't even register Nina's or Esim's parents, because a short blonde girl blazes around the open door, her eyes searching.

"Prim!"

She hears my call and sees my waving arm and rushes to me, Mom following her lead. I kneel on the floor, embracing her.

"Katniss! I can't believe it!" she croons, admiration and jealousy in her eyes. "You look so, so beautiful!"

I can't speak, I can barely even see her, I'm crying so much.

A moment later, I feel the steady arms of Mom taking us both is. I hear a sigh that I know is Effie's, but I don't really care at the moment.

Once I can breath again, I speak. "I'm so happy you guys are here."

"We are, too!" Prim exclaims. I look over to Mom, who has tears in her eyes.

"You're so beautiful, sweetheart. You look like a princess."

I smile. It's nice to not have her question or instruct me for once. She's just happy in the moment, which means the world to me, because I am, too. I notice Prim's eyes focused on something over my shoulder.

"That's him," she breaths.

"Hmm?" I ask, looking down at her. I turn to see Peeta watching us from behind the grand stairwell. His smile is amused as he makes his way to where we're huddled on the floor. Mom stands immediately.

"Your Majesty," she squeaks, a little starstruck "Sorry about all that." She motions to the floor as Prim and I stand, still holding each other tightly.

"Ah, Miss Everdeen. Pleasure to meet you, I've heard plenty about you. And no worries. I'd expect no less enthusiasm from anyone related to Lady Katniss." I'm sure Mom will want an explanation for that later. "And you must be Prim."

Prim blushes as she extends her hand, expecting a shake, but getting a kiss. "I never did get to thank you for not crying."

"What?" she asks, blushing even more in her confusion.

"No one told you?" Peeta says brightly. "You won me my first date with your lovely sister here. I'll forever be in your debt."

Prim giggles back. "Well, you're welcome, I guess."