t w e n t y - s e v e n

"I want seven bridesmaids," Delly says. "I mean, if Peeta choses me and I get to have a big wedding."

We sit in the Great Room and somehow got on the subject of weddings and bridesmaids. Effie was teaching us a lesson, but she left to do something, and the king came in and joined our conversation, too. He's quite nice.

"Well, I won't have bridesmaids," Glimmer says, countering Delly. "They're just distracting. And since it would be televised, I want all eyes on me."

I fume. It's rare we actually all sit and talk civilly, especially with the king here, which we have never done, but, of course, Glimmer is ruining it.

"I'd want to incorporate some of my culture's traditions into my wedding," Esim adds quickly. "Girls back in New Asia use a lot of red in their ceremonies, and the groom has to bring gifts to the bride's friends to reward them for letting him marry her."

Delly pipes up. "Remind me to be in your wedding party. I love presents!"

"Me, too!" Clove exclaims. "Hey, Katniss, you've been awfully quiet. What do you want at your wedding?"

I blush because I'm completely unprepared to comment.

There's only one wedding I've ever imagined, it was going to take place at the Justice Building after an exhausting amount of paperwork.

"Well, I never really wanted a large wedding, or a wedding at all . . . but my little sister wants me to have something big and extravagant, so she can be a bridesmaid in a big wedding. And, I suppose I would want my mom to give me away, since my dad isn't around to do it."

"But everyone does that," Glimmer complains. "That's not even original."

I should be mad that she called me out, but I merely shrug. "I want to know my mom and Prim completely approve of my choice the day it really matters."

"That's nice," Nina says, sipping her tea and looking out the window.

King Harry laughs lightly. "I certainly hope they would approve. No matter who it is." He adds the last words quickly, catching himself in the middle of implying that I would be Peeta's choice.

I wonder if he thinks about that, if Peeta had told him about us.

Shortly after the wedding talk died down, the king left to go to some meeting, and Effie came back to give us our lesson, which ended shortly after and we headed over to the Women's Room.

"That was fun," Clove says as we settle at a table together. "We've never really talked to the king before. He's nice."

"He's getting excited, I think." I nod.

"Okay, you have to tell me: Do you honestly not have any other plans for your wedding or did you just not want to share?"

"I really don't," I promise. "I have a hard time picturing a big wedding, you know? I'm from District Twelve, our wedding ceremonies are totally different."

It's strange to think of myself as a Capitol resident now. After so many years of living in the poor side of town.

"Stop stressing," Clove says, reading my face. "You don't have anything to worry about."

I'm about to protest when I'm interrupted by a cry from Glimmer.

"Come on!" she yells, slamming the remote against the couch before pointing it at the television again. "Ugh!"

"Is it just me or is she getting worse?" I whisper to Clove. Maybe if I had grown up in District One, this would be something worth getting upset for.

"It's the stress, I think," Clove comments. "Have you noticed that Nina's getting, I don't know . . . more aloof?"

I nod, and we both look over to the trio of girls playing their card game. Delly smiles as she shuffles, but Nina is examining the ends of her hair, occasionally pulling out a strand she doesn't seem to like. Her expression is distracted.

"I think we're all starting to feel it," I confess. "It's harder to sit back and enjoy the palace now that the group is so small."

Glimmer grunts, and we peek over at her but quickly advert our eyes when she catches us looking.

"Excuse me for a moment," Clove says, shifting in her seat. "I think I'm going to go to the bathroom."

"I was just thinking the same thing. Do you want to go together?" I offer.

Smiling, she shakes her head. "You go ahead. I'll finish my tea first."

"Okay, I'll be back."

I leave the Women's Room, taking my time walking down the gorgeous hallway. I'm not sure I will ever get over how spectacular it is here. I'm so distracted that I run smack into a guard as I turn the corner.

"Oh!" I say.

"Pardon me, miss. Hope I didn't startle you." He holds me by my elbows, helping me regain my footing.

"No," I say, laughing. "It's fine. I should have been watching where I was going. Thanks for catching me, Officer . . ."

"Hadley," he answers, giving a quick bow.

"I'm Katniss."

"I know."

I smile and roll my eyes. Of course he knows.

"Well, I hope the next time I run into you, it won't be quite so literal," I joke.

He chuckles. "Agreed. Have a nice day, miss."

"You, too."

I tell Clove about my embarrassing run-in with Officer Hadley when I get back and warn her to watch her step. She laughs at me and shakes her head.

We spend the rest of the afternoon sitting by the windows, chatting about home and the other girls as we drink in the sunshine.

It's so sad to think about the future just then. Eventually the Selection will be over, and while I know Clove and I will still be close, I will miss talking to her every day. She's the first real friend I've ever made, and I wish I can keep her beside me all the time.

As I try to stay in the moment, Clove gazes dreamily out the window. I wonder what she's thinking about, but everything is so peaceful, so I don't ask.