f i f t y - s e v e n

I open the balcony doors, letting the air sweeten my room. Even though it's December, the breeze is light and tickles my skin. We're not allowed to go outside at all anymore, not without guards by our sides, so this will have to do.

I scurry around the room, lighting candles, trying to make the space inviting. The knock comes at the door, and I blow out the match, bolt to the bed, pick up a book, and fan out my dress. Why yes, Peeta, this is how I always look when I read. I feel my cheeks get hot and pull the book in front of my face.

"Come in," I offer from behind the book, barely loud enough to be heard. Peeta comes in, and I life my head delicately, catching the wonder in his eyes as he surveys the dimly lit room. Finally he focuses on me, his gaze traveling up my exposed leg. "There you are," I say, closing the book and standing to greet him.

He shuts the door and comes in, his eyes locked on my curves. "I wanted to tell you that you look fantastic tonight."

I flick my hair over my shoulder. "Oh, this thing? It was just sitting in the back of the closet."

"I'm glad you pulled it out."

God, I feel like Glimmer, God, I feel like Glimmer. Katniss, calm down, it's working, it's fine. You'll just have to annoy yourself a lot tonight. Acting. That's it. I've never been the best actress though . . .

I suddenly flashback to my first real interview, when Haymitch coached me. We tried seductive . . . I almost immediately failed. It will be a miracle if I make it through the next ten minutes, not the mention the next hour or two.

I lace my fingers through his. "Come sit with me. I haven't seen you much lately."

He sighs and follows. "I'm sorry about that. Things have been a bit tense since we lost so many people in that rebel attack, and you know how my mother is. We sent several guards to protect your families, and our forces are stretched thin, so she's worse than usual. And she's pressuring me to end the Selection, but I'm holding my ground. I want to have some time to think this through."

We sit on the edge of the bed, and I settle close to him. "Of course. You should be in charge of this."

He nods. "Exactly. I know I've said it a thousand times, but when people push me, it makes me crazy."

I give him a little pout. "I know." He pauses, and I can't read his face. I'm trying to figure out how to move this forward without being pushy, but I'm not sure how to manufacture a romantic moment. Guess it's time to be Glimmer, again. What would she do? "I know this is silly, but my maids put this new perfume on me today. Is it too strong?" I ask, tilting my neck so he can lean in and breathe.

He comes near, his nose hitting and soft patch of skin. "No, dear, it's lovely," he says into the curve of my shoulder. Then he kisses me there. I swallow, trying to focus. I need to have some level of control.

"I'm glad you like it. I missed you."

I feel his hand snake around my back, and I bring my face down. There he is, eyes looking into mine, our lips millimeters apart.

"How much have you missed me?" he breathes

His stare combined with his voice being so low, is doing funny things to my heartbeat. I nervously swallow. "So much," I whisper back. "So, so much."

I lean forward, aching to be kissed. Peeta is confident, pulling me closer with one hand and stringing the other through my hair. My body wants to meet into the kiss, but the dress stops me. Then, suddenly nervous again, I remember the plan.

Sliding my hands down Peeta's arm, I guide his fingers to the zipper on the back of my dress, hoping it will be enough.

His hands linger there for a moment, and I'm seconds away from just asking him to unzip it when he bursts out laughing.

The sound sobers me up pretty quickly.

"What's so funny?" I ask, horrified, trying to think of an inconspicuous way to check my breath.

"Of everything you've done, this is by far the most entertaining!" Peeta bends over as he laughs.

"Excuse me?"

He kisses me hard on my forehead. "I always wondered what it would be like to see you try." He starts laughing again. "I'm sorry; I have to go." Even the way he stands holds a sense of amusement. "I'll see you in the morning."

And then he leaves. He just leaves!

I sit there, completely mortified. Why in the world did I think I could pull that off? Peeta may not know everything about me, but at the very least he knows my character- and this? It's not me.

I look down at the ridiculous dress. It's too much, even Glimmer wouldn't go this far. My hair is too perfect, my makeup too heavy. He knows what I was trying to do the second he walked through the door. Sighing, I walk around the room. blowing out candles and wondering how I'm supposed to face him tomorrow.