f i v e

A week later, I beat Gale to the rock.

It takes a bit of work to get the things I want there in silence, but I manage. I rearrange the plates one last time before I hear the crunch of leaves and snap of twigs in the distance.

"Boo."

Gale starts and I laugh. He crosses the rock to kiss me, and after we break apart I begin to talk about all that has happened during the week.

"I never got to tell you about sign-ups," I said, excited about the news.

"How'd it go? I heard that it was crazy."

"It was crazy, Gale! You should've seen what people were wearing. And I'm sure you've heard that this thing is a lot less of a lottery than their claiming. So, I was right all along. There are far more interesting people in District Twelve to choose than me, so this was all a big nothing."

"All the same, thank you for doing it. It means a lot to me."

His eyes are still focused on me, he hasn't even bothered looking around the rock. Drinking me in, like always.

"Well, the best part is that since my mother had no idea I already promised you, she bribed me to sign up." I can't contain my smile. This week I've done a lot of extra hunting and trading to make some cash. And Mom has been true to her word.

"Bribed you? With what?" His face is lit with excitement.

"Money, of course. Look, I made you a feast!" I pull away from him and start grabbing plates. I'd made too much dinner on purpose to save him some, and I've been baking pastries for days. Prim and I both had a terrible addiction to sweets anyways, and she was jubilant that this is how I was choosing to spend my money.

"What's all this?"

"Food. I made it myself! I'm not the best baker or cook, but I think I did an okay job." I beam with pride at my efforts. But, his smile fades as he takes in plate after plate. "Gale, is something wrong?"

"This isn't right." He shook his head and looked away from the treats.

"What do you mean?"

"Katniss, I'm supposed to be providing for you. It's humiliating for me to come here and have you do all this for me."

"But, I give you food all the time. And you hunt, you could do this for me, just without the pastries!"

"Your little leftovers. And yeah, sure, I hunt, but most of it goes to my family, I don't have money. I use little of what I hunt for trading, because usually when I have to trade things, it's for non-food items. I'm supposed to-"

"Gale, c'mon. I love you, you don't need to give me things all the time.. You give me your affection, you help me hunt, you give me your pennies."

"The pennies? You really want to bring that up now?"

Gale runs his hand through his hair. His face is full of confusion. I feel guilty. I meant to spoil him, not humiliate him.

"I love you," I whisper. He shakes his head.

"I love you, too, Katniss." But, he still won't look at me.

"I didn't mean to hurt you. I thought it would make you happy."

"No, Katniss, I love it. I can't believe you did this all for me. It's just . . . you don't know how much it bothers me that I can't do this for you. You deserve better." I grab his hand.

"Gale, we've talked about this. Everyone in our district is poor, it's not just you and me. All I want in this world is you. The moment your ready is ask, I'm ready to say yes."