s i x t y - o n e

Peeta and I look at each other, then back to the rebels.

"You heard me right, I'm a Panem. And by birth, too. This one will be by marriage sooner or later," August says, nodding to the girl.

"Georgia Whitaker," she says. "And of course, we know all about you, Katniss."

She gives me another smile and I slowly return it. I'm not sure I trust her, but I certainly don't hate her.

"So Father was right." Peeta sighs. I look over to him, confused. Confused about all of this, actually. We have always been told that President Snow started Panem. I had no idea a family of 'Panems' existed. Is there more to the story? And does Peeta know? "He said you'd come for the crown one day."

"I don't want your crown," August assures us.

"Good, because I intend to lead this country," Peeta shoots back. "I've been raised for it, and if you think you can come in here claiming to be-"

"I don't want your crown, Peeta! Destroying the monarchy is more up the Southern rebels' alley. We have other goals." August sits at the table, leaning back in his seat. Then as if it's his home we've stepped into he sweeps his arm across the chairs, inviting us to sit.

Peeta and I eye each other again and join him. Georgia follows quickly, August looks at us for a while, either studying us or trying to decide where to start.

Peeta, maybe reminding us who's in charge, breaks the tension. "Would you like some tea or coffee?"

Georgia lights up. "Coffee?"

In spite of himself, Peeta smiles at her enthusiasm and turns behind him to get a guard's attention. "Could you have one of the maids being some coffee, please. For goodness' sake, make sure it's strong." Then he focuses again on August. "I can't imagine what you want from me. You've seemed to make a point to come while the palace is asleep, and I'm guessing you'd like to keep this visit as secretive as possible. Say what you must, I can't promise to give you want you want, but I will listen."

August nods and leans forward. "We've been looking for Gregory Panem's diaries for decades. We knew they existed long ago and had a recent confirmation from a source I cannot reveal. We have never desired to take down the monarchy," he says to Peeta. "Even though it came about in a very corrupt way, we have no problem with a sovereign leader, particularly if that leader is you."

Diaries?

Peeta is still, but I can sense his pride. "Thank you."

"What we would like are other things, specific freedoms. We want nominated officials, and we want to end the districts." August says all this as if it's easy. If he'd seen my presentation get cut off on the Report, he ought to know better.

"You act like I'm already the king," Peeta answers in frustration. "Even if it was possible, I can't simply give you what you're asking for."

"But you're open to the idea?"

Peeta raises his hands and drops them on the table. "What I'm open to is irrelevant at the moment. I am not king." August sighs, looking over to Georgia. They seem to communicate wordlessly, and I'm impressed at their easy intimacy. Here they are, in a very tense situation- one they've entered maybe suspecting they wouldn't be able to get out of- and their feelings for each other are so close to the surface. "Speaking of kings," Peeta adds, "why don't you explain to Katniss who you are. I'm sure you'd do a better job than I would."

I know this is a way for Peeta to stall, to think of a way to get control of this situation, but I don't mind. I'm dying to understand.

August smiles humorously. "That is an interesting story," he promises, the vibrancy in his voice hinting at how exciting his tale will be. "As you've been told, President Snow created Panem. But really, President Snow did not. Before him, there was a monarchy, which he fought against. A lot of people died, including the royal family, and he eventually made his way to the top and became President. He created the districts in an attempt to keep control of Panem, in the hope that no one would try to take over. Then, President Snow was assassinated, along with a lot of Capitol residents in the fight to get inside the president's mansion, and the monarchy was brought back. The last living member of the Panem family tree, Gregory Panem took the throne. He decided to keep the districts in tact after President Snow's death, as he was afraid taking them away would put too much stress on an already fragile nation.