f o r t y - f i v e

We're spared the humiliation of dealing with the aftermath of our receptions on the Report. The visits of our foreign friends are mentioned in the passing, but the actual events are kept from the public. It's not until the next morning that Effie comes to speak to us about our performance.

"It was a very daunting task we gave you, and it absolutely could have gone horribly wrong. I'm pleased to say, however, that both teams did very well." Effie looks at us each appraisingly. We all sigh of relief. "If I'm honest, one event was slightly better than the other, but you should all be proud of your accomplishments. We received thank-you letters from our longtime friends in the German Federation for your gracious hosting," Effie says, looking at Glimmer, Nina, and Esim. "There were a few minor hiccups, and I don't think any of us could truly enjoy such serious affairs, but they certainly did.

"And as for you two," Effie turns towards Delly and me. "The ladies from Italy enjoyed themselves immensely. They were quite impressed with your style, and the food; and they made a special point to ask for the wine you served, so, bravo! I wouldn't be surprised if Panem gained a wonderful new ally based on that welcome. You're to be commended."

Delly squeaks, and I let out a nervous laugh, happy enough that it's all over, let alone that we beat the others. Effie goes on to talk about a report she will be writing up to hand over to the king, queen, and Peeta but says that none of us have a thing to worry about. As she speaks, the door opens to the Women's Room and the queen, king, and Peeta all walk in. I'm suddenly worried, but men aren't allowed in the Women's Room, so this must be important.

As they enter, we stand to curtsy, but they don't seem to care about formalities.

"Dear ladies, we are sorry to intrude, but we have urgent news," the king informs us.

"I'm afraid we've had a development with the war in New Asia," Peeta says firmly. "The situation is so dire that Father and I are leaving this very moment to see if we can do any good."

While the king then begins rattling a list of instructions off to the queen, Peeta comes to say his good-byes to each of us.

His good-bye to Nina is so short is almost doesn't happen. Nina doesn't seem too bothered, and I don't know what to make of that. Is she actually not worried about Peeta's lack of affection, or is she forcing herself to stay calm?

Glimmer drapes herself across Peeta and explodes into the worst display of fake crying I've ever seen. When he goes to untangle himself, she plants a kiss on his lips that he promptly- and in a polite way- wipes away after his back is turned.

Esim and Delly are so close that I hear his good-byes to them

"Call ahead and tell them to go easy on us," he says to Esim. I almost forgot that the main reason she's still here is because she has family tied to the leaders in New Asia. I wonder if this war going downhill will cost her her spot.

Then I suddenly realize that I have no clue what Panem stands to lose if we lost this war.

"If you get me a phone, I will talk to my parents," she promises.

Peeta nods and kisses Esim's hand, then walks over to Delly.

She immediately laces her fingers in his.

"Will you be in danger?" she asks quietly, her voice beginning to shake.

"I don't know. During out last trip to New Asia, the situation wasn't nearly as tense. I can't be sure this time." His voice is so tender, I feel like they should have been having this conversation in private. Delly lifts her gaze to the ceiling and sighs, and in that quick second Peeta looks over to me. I avert my eyes.

"Please be careful," she whispers. A tear falls onto her cheek.

"Of course, my dear." Peeta gives her a silly little salute, which makes her laugh a little. He kisses her cheek and pulls back her hands, and the second they are no longer touching, a tremor goes through Delly's body. Peeta's hands twitch for a second, like he was about to embrace her, but then he steps away and walks towards me.

As if Peeta's words of last week aren't enough, here's physical proof of their relationship. By the look of it, they have something sweet and real. One glimpse of Delly with her face in her hands is proof of how much she cares for him. Either that, or she's an incredible actress.

I try to gauge his expression when he looks at me versus the way he had looked at Delly. Is it the same? Is there less warmth there?

"Try not to get into any trouble while I'm gone, all right?" he says teasingly.

I raise my right hand. "I promise to be on my best behavior."

He chuckles. "Excellent. One less thing to worry about."

"What about us? Should we worry?"

Peeta shakes his head. "We should be able to smooth over whatever's going on. Father can be very diplomatic and-"

"You are such an idiot sometimes," I say as Peeta's brow furrows. "I mean about you. Should we worry about you?"

His face is very serious and does nothing to help my fears.

"Flying in and flying out. If we can make it to the ground . . ." Peeta swallows once, and I see how frightened he is.

I want to ask something else, but I don't know what to say.

He clears his throat. "Katniss, before I go . . ." I look up to Peeta's face and feel the tears rising.  "I need you to know that everything-"

"Peeta, we need to go," the king says firmly. Peeta lifts his head and nods.

"Good-bye, Katniss," he says quietly, and lifts my hands to his lips. As he does so, he notes the little homemade bracelet I wear. He studies it, seeming confused, and then kisses my hand tenderly.

The feather of a kiss sends me back to a memory that feels years old. He had kissed my hand like that my first night in the place when I'd yelled at him, when he'd let me stay anyways.

I keep my eyes to the floor as they leaves, feeling a sadness envelope me at the thought of him not coming back.

-

The day passes quickly. After dinner, my maids quietly help me prepare for bed, and a single sentence lifts me from my reflections.

"Do you know who I found in here this morning, miss?" Tig asks as she gently pulls a brush through my hair.

"Who?"

"Officer Hawthorne."

I freeze, but quickly put myself back together, knowing that this isn't the best time to clam up. "Oh?" I say, keeping my eyes on my reflection as they continue.

"Yes," Annie says. "He was doing a sweep of your room. Something about security." She looks confused.

"It was strange though," Tig says, echoing Annie's expression. "He was in his plain clothes, not his uniform. He shouldn't be doing security work on his time off."

"He must be very dedicated," I comment in a disconnected tone. How could he have been so stupid?

"I think he is," Annie says with awe. "Whenever I see him around the palace, he's always noticing things. He's a very good solider."

"True," Stacy says matter-of-factly. "Some of the men who come through here really aren't fit for the job."

"And he looks good in his plain clothes. Most of them look terrible once you get them out of their uniforms," Annie comments.

Stacy giggles and blushes, and even Tig cracks a smile. It's been a long time since they'd seemed to relaxed. On another day, in another moment, it might be fun to gossip about the guards. Not today though. All I can think about is that there is a letter in my room from Gale. I want to peek over my shoulder at the jar, but I don't dare.

It feels like an eternity before they leave me alone. I force myself to be patient and wait a few minutes to make sure they don't come back. Finally I dart over to my bed and clutch my jar. Sure enough, a tiny slip of paper waits for me.

Peeta is gone. This changes everything.