s e v e n t y - t w o

The backdrop for our photos is plain and light blue. My maids and Cinna put together a lovely dress for me, which little off-the-shoulder cuffs that cover my scar. For now, my days of strapless gowns are gone.

Though I look pretty good, I'm completely overshadowed by Nicoletta, and even Georgia is dazzling in her gown.

"Lady Katniss," the women next to the camera calls. "We remember Princess Nicoletta from when the women of the Italian royal family came to visit the palace, but who is your other guests?"

"This is Georgia, a dear friend of mine," I reply sweetly. "One of the things that I've learned from the Selection so far is that moving forward means joining your life before coming to the palace with the future that lies in front of you. I'm hoping to make another step in joining those two worlds today."

Some those standing around us let out satisfied noises as the cameras continue to capture the three of us.

"Excellent, ladies," the photographer says. "You can go enjoy the party. We'll be taking candid shots later.

"Sounds fun," I answer, motioning for my guests to come with me.

Peeta had made it clear that of all days, today is the one when I really need to be on. I hope to be the lead example of what an Elite should be, but it's hard for me to try and be so perfect.

"Tone it down, Katniss, or rainbows are going to shoot from your eyes." I love that even though our friendship has been brief, Georgia can see right through my act.

I laugh, and Nicoletta joins in. "She's right. You do seem a bit perky"

I sigh with a smile. "Sorry. Today is a kind of a high-stakes day."

Georgia puts an arm on my shoulder as well walk deeper into the room. "After everything you and Peeta have been through, I highly doubt he'll send you home over a tea party."

"That's not exactly what I mean. But we'll have to talk about it later." I turn to face them. "Right now, it would be a huge help to me if we could mingle. Once things settle down, we need to have a pretty serious discussion."

Nicoletta looks over to Georgia, then back to me. "What kind of friend are you introducing me to here?"

"A valuable one. I swear. I'll explain later."

For their part, Georgia and Nicoletta make me shine. As a princess, Nicoletta is quite possibly the best guest in the room, and I see in Delly's eyes that she wishes she had thought of that. Of course, she doesn't have a direct line to the Italian royal family like I do. Nicoletta herself had given me a phone number to contact her if I ever needed to.

No one knows who Georgia is, but when they'd heard my line- the one Peeta had specifically fed to me- about joining my past and my future, they thought that was a spectacular idea as well.

Esim's choices are predictable. Powerful but predictable. Two very distant cousins from New Asia represent her ties to the leaders in the nation parade next to her in their traditional dresses. Delly has chosen a professor from the college her father works at and her mother. I'm dreading Mom and Prim hearing about that. When they realize they had a chance to be here, I'm sure to get a very disappointed letter from them.

Glimmer, true to her word, brought full-fledged celebrities. A very popular singer from the Capitol named Stella is in a very short but glamorous dress. Glimmer's other guest is Kirsty Summer, another musician who's mostly known for her outlandish concerts, and her outfit is more like a costume. My guess is that it's either something she usually performs in or an experiment in painted leather. I'm surprised she even got through the door with the way she's dressed, and because of the fact that if you pass within a foot of her, you can smell the alcohol radiating off her.