f o r t y - t w o

I sit at the base of the tree, legs folded to my chest, waiting. I know it's the best thing to do.

I never had to do it at home, I knew the forest there like my two feet. But, for now, I wait. I'm sure someone will find me eventually, and I'll just get even more lost by trying to find my way back.

This situation reminds me a bit of the days when the fence in District 12 would be turned on. Between the meadow and the town lies a very tall fence that's supposed to be charged with electricity 24 hours a day to keep animals out. But, it's almost never on. I always check for the faint buzz before I slip under the fence everyday, though, just in case. Twice, though I've been caught stuck in the woods because the fence was turned on. Usually, I just hole myself up in a tree until Prim and my mom worry and send Gale to come find me.

How is it possible that rebels had gotten into the palace two days in a row? Two days in a row! Have things gotten so much worse on the outside since the Selection has begun?

My legs have a bunch of scratches on them, and now that I'm not filled with adrenaline, I can feel the sting. There's also a small bruise halfway up my thigh I'm not sure how I acquired. I'm thirsty; and as I settle down, I feel worn-out from the emotional, mental, and physical strain of the day. I let my head rest against the tree, closing my eyes. I don't intend to fall asleep. But I do.

Sometime late, I hear the distinct sound of footsteps. My eyes flash open, and the forest looks a lot darker than I remember. How long have I been asleep?

My first instinct is to climb back up the tree, and I run around to the other side, stepping on the torn remnants of the rebel girl's bag. But then I hear people call my name.

"Lady Katniss!" someone says. "Where are you?"

"Lady Katniss?" another voice calls. After a while, a loud voice, a command comes. "Be sure to look everywhere. If they killed her, they might have hung her or tried to bury her. Pay attention."

"Yes, sir," men chorus back.

I peek around the tree, focusing on the sound. I squint trying to make out the figures moving through the shadows, unsure if they're really be here to save me. But one guard, his slight limp not slowing him at all, makes me finally sure that I'm safe.

A small patch of fading light falls across Gale's face, and I run. "I'm here!" I yell. "I'm over here!"

I run straight into Gale's arms, for once not caring about who sees. "Thank goodness," he breathes into my hair. Then, turning towards the other figures, "I've got her! She's alive!" Gale bends down and picks me up, cradling me. "I was terrified we would find your body somewhere. Are you hurt?"

"My legs a little."

A second later, several guard surround us, congratulating Gale on a job well done.

"Lady Katniss," the one in charge says, "are you injured at all?"

I shake my head. "Just some scratches on my legs."

"Did they try to hurt you?"

"No. They never caught up to me."

He looks a bit shocked. "None of the other girls could have outrun them, I don't think."

I smile, finally at ease. "None of the other girls are from Twelve."

Several of the guards chuckle, Gale included.

"Good point. Let's get you back." He goes in front of us and calls out to the other guards, "Be on the lookout. They could still be lingering in the area."