s e v e n

The next morning, I dress myself in the uniform of the Selected: black pants, white shirt, and my District flower- a lily- in my hair. My shoes, I'm allowed to pick. I decide on my black combat boots. Might as well show them I'm not princess material from the start.

We're set to leave for the square shortly, Effie is in my living room, talking to my mother and Prim. Each of the Selected is getting a send-off in her home district today, and I'm not looking forward to mine. All those people staring while I do nothing more than stand there. The whole thing already feels ridiculous, and now I have to be driven a short mile for security reasons.

When it's time to leave we all walk to the car we've been provided, Effie's giant dress taking up two seats. Prim holds my hand the whole time, trying to get some enthusiasm into me. Our hands are still linked when we stepped out and into the square.

It seemed like everyone in District Twelve came to see me off. Madge leaves after me, so the crowd must be gathered for her. As I walked across the stage, I see some girls stare daggers at me, and others cheer and blow kisses. It gives me a sense of purpose. The champion of the lowest district.

The mayor speaks with a flourish.

"Miss Katniss Everdeen, of District Twelve." Soon he would be announcing his daughters name. I wonder how he feels about her winning. They don't exactly need the money, they're the richest people in Twelve.

The crowd claps and cheers, some throwing flowers. I take in the sound for a moment, smiling and waving, before scanning the crowd, for a different purpose this time.

I wanted to see him face one more time if I could. I didn't know if he would come. He told me I looked beautiful yesterday, but was even more distant and guarded than he had been at the rock. It's over, and I know that. But, you can't just love someone for two years and then turn it off overnight.

It takes a few passes of the crowd before I could find him. And I instantly wish that I hadn't. He has Brenna Butler in front of him, casually holding her around the waist and smiling.

Maybe some people can turn it off overnight.

Brenna is my age, and pretty enough, although she looks nothing like me. I guessed she'll get the wedding and life he'd been saving with me. And apparently the draft doesn't bother him so much anymore. She smiles at him at him and walks away to her family.

Has he liked her all along? Is she the girl he saw everyday and I was the girl who fed him and showered him with kisses once a week? It occurs to me that maybe all time he omitted in our stolen conversations were simply long, boring hours of inventory to him.

I'm too angry to cry.

Besides, I have admirers here who wanted my attention. So, without Gale even knowing I'd saw him, I go back to those adoring faces. I put my smile back on and started waving. Gale won't have the satisfaction of breaking my heart anymore. He put me here, I'll just have to take advantage of it.

"Ladies and gentleman, please join me in sending off one of our two favorite Daughters of Panem!" the mayor calls. Behind me, a small band plays the national anthem. More cheers, more flowers Suddenly, the mayor is by my ear.

"Would you like to say something, dear?" I don't know how to say no without being rude.

"Thank you, but I'm so overwhelmed, I don't think I could." He cups my hand in his.

"Of course, dear girl. Don't you worry, I'll take care of everything. They'll train you for this kind of thing at the palace."

The mayor then gathered the crowd of my attributes, slyly mentioning that I was very intelligent and attractive for a District Twelve member.

I caught Gale's face in the crowd once more as my eyes swept over. He looks pained. It's the polar opposite of the face he wore with Brenna Butler just a few moments ago. Another game? I break the gaze, listening to the crowd cheer.

Now, it's time to say goodbye. Effie tells me to say quiet goodbyes and then she'll escort me to the train. Prim was bouncing on her toes, incredibly giddy.

"Oh, Katniss! You're going to be a princess! I just know it!"

"Oh, please, I'd stay here with you over being a princess any day. Be good for me, okay, Little Duck?" she nods and bounces some more. I turn to Mom.

"Do whatever they tell you. Try to stop sulking and be happy. Behave. Smile. Keep us posted. Oh! I just knew you'd turn out to be special!" It was meant to be sweet, but it wasn't what I needed to hear. But, I guess she would never stop wanting more from me, I guess that's just how mothers are.

"Be good to her," I say, looking over to Prim. Mom nods.

"Lady Katniss, are you ready?" Effie's bubbly voice asks.

"Yes. All ready." My backpack is waiting in the train for me. This is it. I start to walk over to the station with Effie, where the train was waiting.

"Katniss!" I turn. I know that voice anywhere. "Katniss!" I search and find Gale's flailing arms as he pushes people in the crowd aside. Our eyes meet.

He stops and stares. I can't read his face. Worry? Regret? Whatever it was, it'z too late. I shake my head. I'm done with Gale's games.

"This way, Lady Katniss," Effie instructs. I give myself a second to absorb the new name.

"Goodbye, sweetheart!" Mom calls.

And with that, I'm led away.