n i n e

(a/n: hi, i just wanted to clear up for the future that peeta is an only child in this story)

Even with the substantial greeting at the airport, the street leading up to the palace is full of cheering people. Sadly, I'm not allowed to roll down the windows to thank them for the well wishes.

I'm stuck next to Glimmer in the car, with Clove and Madge sitting next to each other in front of us. Clove beams as she stares at the window, seeing how many people are calling her name. It's impossible to count how many admirers she has, there's dozens of signs with her name on it.

Madge's name was sprinkled in there with Glimmer's, but much more than mine.

"What do you think she did?" Glimmer whispers, her cold eyes staring at Clove.

"What do you mean?"

"To get so popular. Do you think she bribed someone?" Glimmer smirks to herself at the thought.

"I don't think so. I don't think she would waste money on something like that."

"Not that type of bribe." I gape at her for a few moments. Does she really think that Clove would sleep with someone to get to the top? Life at the palace is going to be a lot more vicious than I thought. I ignore Glimmer and instead watched as we approach the palace.

The walls are pale yellow stucco and very, very high. Guards are placed on top at either side of the wide gate that swung open as the car came close. Inside we're greeted with a long gravel drive that circles a fountain and leads us to the front doors, where officials are waiting to welcome us.

With less than a hello, the women grabs my arms and ushers me inside.

"So sorry miss, but your group is running late." I'm surprised that Effie let us run late, with how she is with time management.

"Oh, sorry, that's my fault. I got a little too chatty at the airport."

"Talking to the crowds?" A man asks in surprise. They exchange a look I don't understand before they start calling out locations as we pass.

The dining room is to the right, and the Great Room is to the left. I catch a glimpse of sprawling gardens out of the glass doors and wish I can stop. Before I can even process where we'e going, they pulled me into a huge room packed full with bustling people.

A swarm parts, and I see rows of mirrors with people working on girls' hair and painting their nails. Clothes hand on racks, and people shout things like "I found the dye!" and "That makes her look pudgy!"

"Here they are." I hear a familiar voice. "Hello, Katniss."

"Hi, Cinna."

"Let's get to work. Katniss, we're going to need 'before' pictures, follow me." He leads me over to a chair in a corner with a backdrop. The other girls go off to do other things with their stylists. "Ignore the cameras, their just doing a special on your makeover, since every girl in Panem will be wanting to look like you after today." I smile and the camera clicks.

I look around and see teams of people with cameras, zooming in on girls shoes and interviewing them.

"Let's go to . . . Station Six." Cinna leads me over to a chair that I sit in, and three women walk over to us.

"Katniss, meet your prep-team. They will be helping me polish and wax you." I wince at the wax part, which I'm not excited for. "This is Octavia, Flavius, and Venia."

Octavia is a plump women who says a small hello to me before getting out the wax materials. Flavius was a thinner man, wearing bright red clothing. Venia was a slim women, wear lots of purple, including her big wig, that reminds me of Effie.