s e v e n t y

I wake with a headache. I moan as I rub my temple, then yelp when the action sends a sharp pain across my arm.

"Here," Stacy says, coming to sit on the edge of my bed. She holds out two pills and a glass of water.

I slowly push myself up to take her offering, my head throbbing through all of it. How does Haymitch do this every morning? How does he still even work here? "What time is it?"

"Nearly eleven," Stacy says. "We sent word that you weren't feeling well and wouldn't be at breakfast. If we hurry, we could probably get you ready for lunch with the Elite."

The thought of rushing or even eating doesn't sound appealing, but it's probably wisest to get back into a normal routine. It's becoming clear how much we'd risked last night, and I don't want to give anyone a reason to suspect anything at all had happened.

I give Stacy a nod, and we both stand. My legs aren't quite as reliable as I would like, but I move to the bathroom anyway. Tig is just outside the door, cleaning as Annie sits in a wide chair sewing sleeves on a dress that probably had only been designed for simple straps.

She looks up from her handiwork. "Are you alright, miss? You gave us quite a scare."

"I'm sorry. I think I'm as good as I can be."

She smiles at me. "We're ready to do what we can to help you, miss. You only need to ask." I'm not completely sure what she's offering, but I will take her up on any help that might get me through the next few days. "Oh, Officer Hawthorne stopped by, as well as the prince. They both hoped you would let them know how you were feeling once you were up to it."

I nod. "After lunch, I'll take care of it."

With no warming, my arm is in someone's hands. Tig is looking closely at the wound, gingerly peeking under the bandages to check my progress.

"It doesn't look infected. As long as we keep it clean, I think it will heal nicely. I wish I could have done something better. I know it'll leave a mark," she laments.

"Don't worry. The best people always have some kind of scar." I think of Clove's hands and Peeta's back. They both hold permanent marks of their bravery. I'm honored to join them.

"Lady Katniss, your bath is ready," Stacy says from around the bathroom door.

I take in her face, then Annie's, then Tig's. I've always been close to my maids, always trusted them. But something changed last night. It was the first time those bonds were tested; and in the light of day, they're still here, strong and holding

I'm not sure there is a way to prove I am as loyal to them as they are to me. But I hope the opportunity will show itself.

-

If I focus, I can lift my fork to my mouth without grimacing. It takes an extraordinary amount of effort, to the point where I'm sweating in the middle of the meal. I decide to stick to nibbling on the bread. I don't need my right arm to hold that.

Delly asks how my headache is- which I guess is the story circulating- and I tell her I'm fine now, though my head and arm are impossible to ignore. That's the extent of the question, and it looks like no one has guessed that it's anything out of the ordinary.

As I chew a bit of bread, I debate how well the other girls would have gone if they had gone in my place last night. I decide the only person who would have fared better is Glimmer. She would have found some way to fight back.

Once our trays are carted out of the Women's Room, Effie comes in and asks for our attention.

"It's time for you ladies to shine again. This week, we'll be having a small tea party, and you all, of course, are invited!" I sigh to myself. Who are we meant to entertain this time? "You won't be in charge of any preparations for this particular party, but you must be on your best behavior, because this will be filmed for the public." I perk up a bit. I can handle that. "You will each invite two people to be your personal guests at this tea party, and that will be your only responsibility. Choose wisely, and let me know your two contacts by Friday."