f o u r

It's Friday, so the Panem Capitol Report will be on at eight. You're not obligated to watch, but it's unwise to miss it. And with The Selection coming up, the Report is more than a semi-requirement. If you don't have a TV, you go to the square and watch it with the crowd on the big screens.

"Do you think they'll announce the winners tonight?" Prim asks as she stuffs mashed potatoes into her mouth.

"No, dear. Everyone who's eligible still has nine days to submit their applications. It'll probably be two more weeks before we know." Mom's voice is the calmest it's been in years. She's completely at ease, pleased to have gotten something she really wants.

"Aw! I can't stand the wait!" Prim complains.

She can't stand the wait? It's my name in the poll!

"Oh, Katniss! You looked great! Polished and natural. If they really are looking instead of picking from the poll, you have a better chance then we thought!" Prim nods in agreement.

"I don't know. . ." I hedge. "There was a girl who looked like she was wearing so much red lipstick that she was bleeding. Maybe the prince likes that kind of thing." Prim and Mom laugh.

At eight we all sit on the couch in the living room, Prim's ugly orange cat named Buttercup sitting in her lap. We turned the TV on and change it to the Public Access Channel, the one channel that you don't have to pay for.

The anthem plays and the picture of the royal family comes into view. Standing at the podium is King Harry. His advisors, who have updates on infrastructure and some environmental concerns, are seated to the side, and the camera cuts to show them. It looks like there will be several announcements tonight. On the left side of the screen, the queen and Prince Peeta sit in their typical cluster of throne like seats and elegant clothes, looking regal and important.

"There's your boyfriend, Katniss," Prim announces and Mom laughs. I don't answer, and instead look at Prince Peeta.

I guess he's handsome in his own way. He has dirty blonde hair, which is messier and isn't pulled back with gel which, in my opinion at least, is better. Messy hair makes him look a bit less stiff. His eyes are like pools, bright blue. I can see why people like him. His crisp grey suit is perfectly fitted to him. He looks more like a painting then a person.

I focus on his mother who looks more serene, but not happy. She was from District Twelve, ran a bakery here, I believe. So, not to say that girls from here can't win, because since there's only been one or one selection so far, District Twelve would seem like a high contender. Or maybe not, maybe people think they should give another district a chance this year. But usually, District Twelve is barely thought about, because we're the lowest of the low. Did she have any friends growing up? Were they jealous of her when she got picked? If I had friends, would they be jealous if I got picked?

It's stupid, I won't be picked anyways. I focus my attention back to the king, who has started talking.

"Just this morning, another attack from New Asia rocked our bases. It has left our troops slightly outnumbered, but we are confident that with the fresh draft next month will come lifted moral, not to mention swelling of fresh forces."

I hate war. Unfortunately, we are a young country that has to protect itself against everyone. It isn't likely though, that we would survive another invasion.

After the king gives us an update on the recent rain on rebel camp, the head of the Financial Team updates us on the status of debt, and the head of the Infrastructure Committee announces that they are planning to start work on rebuilding several highways, some of which haven't been touched since the Fourth World War. Finally, the last person, the Master of Events came to the podium.