s e v e n t e e n

"Who was the President of the United States during the Third World War?" Effie quizzes us.

This is one I don't know, and I advert my eyes, hoping Effie won't call on me. Luckily, Delly raises her hand and answers. "President Larene."

We are in the Great Room again, starting the week with a history lesson. Well, more like a history test. This is one of those areas where it seems that what people know it varied, as far as what was fact and how informed they are. They didn't teach us about much of anything but coal at school in District 12. My knowledge of Panem's and America's history is very limited.

"Correct. President Larene was the president before the Korean assault, and continued leading the United States throughout the war. What did they call America after they took over?" I raise my hand along with a few others. "Glimmer?"

"The American State of Korea."

"Yes, excellent Glimmer." Effie gives her a doting smile. How does Glimmer wrap people around her finger like that? And why did her parents name her Glimmer, of all things? "Anyone else have anything to add?"

-

The flashbulbs go off again, capturing Peeta and Cashmere smiling brightly.

"Miss, bring your chin down just a touch, please. That's it." The photographer snaps another picture, filling the room with light. "I think that will do. Who's next?" he calls.

Glimmer comes in from the side, a general group of maids still swarming around her before the photographer starts up again. Cashmere, still beside Peeta, says something and kicks her foot up flirtatiously behind her. He responds quietly, and she giggles as she walks away.

We'd been told after the history lesson yesterday that the photoshoot was merely for the amusement of the public, but I can't help but think that there's some actual weight to it. Someone had written and editorial magazine about the look of a princess. I didn't get to read the article myself, but Esim and some others did. According to her, it's about Peeta needing to find someone who actually looks regal and and photographed well with him, someone who would look nice on a stamp.

And now, here we are, all lined up in identical cream-colored, cap-sleeved, drop-waist dresses with a heavy red sash across our shoulders, taking pictures with Peeta. The photos will be printed in the same magazine, and the magazine staff is going to make some picks. I'm kind of uncomfortable with it all.  This is the thing that I'd been bothered about since the beginning, him looking for nothing more than a pretty face. Now that I've met him, I'm sure it's not true. But it gets to me that people think Peeta is like that. It also gets to me that my looks are about to be compared with seventeen other girls in some Capitol magazine. But, that's the Capitol, I suppose.

I sigh. Some of the girls are walking around, munching on no-drip foods and chatting, but the majority, including myself, are standing around the perimeter of the set erected in the Great Room. A huge gold tapestry sits on the wall, and a small couch is off to one side, a white pillar on the other. In the middle the Panem emblem stands, giving the whole silly thing an air of being patriotic. We watch as each Selected parades across the space to be photograph, some whispering about thinks they like or don't like.

I almost groan as I watch Glimmer walk up to Peeta with a sparkle in her eyes. He smiles as she approaches. The moment she reaches him, she puts her lips to his ear and whispers something. Whatever is was, Peeta leans his head back with laughter and nods, agreeing with her little secret. It's so strange to see them like that. How can someone who gets along so well with me, do the same with someone like her?

"All right, miss, just face the camera and smile, please," the photographer calls, and Glimmer immediately complies.

She turns herself towards Peeta and places a hand on his chest, tilting her head down, and gives her most expert smile. Of course, she being the model, knows how to use the lighting and set to her best advantage and keeps moving Peeta over a few inches, or insisting on changing their pose. Where some girls take their time and made their turn with Peeta last- particularly the girls who haven't secured a date with Peeta- Glimmer seems to want to show her efficiency instead.