t w e n t y - t h r e e

The next morning, I wake feeling a little guilty. Frightened even. just because I didn't return Peeta's ear tug, doesn't mean he couldn't come to my room any time he wanted. We so easily could have been caught. If anyone had any idea what I'd done . . .

It's treason. And there's only one way the palace deals with treason.

But another part of me doesn't care. In the hazy moments of waking, I relived every look in Gale's eyes, every touch, every kiss. I'd missed that so badly.

I wish we'd had more time to talk. I really need to know what Gale's thinking, though last night had given me some clues. It's just so unthinkable- after trying so hard to not want him- that he might still want me.

It's Saturday and I'm supposed to go to the Women's Room, but I just can't stand it. I need to think, and I know that won't happen in the endless chatter floating downstairs. When my maids come, I tell them I have a headache and would be staying in bed.

They're so helpful, bring me food and cleaning the room as quietly as possible, that I almost feel bad for lying to them. I have to, though. I can't face the girls and possibly Peeta while my mind is so solidly focused on Gale.

I close my eyes but do not sleep. I try to clear up how I feel. Before I get very far, though, there's a knock at the door. I roll over, catching Tig's face as she silently asks if she should answer it. I sit up quickly, straighten my hair, and give her a nod.

I pray that it won't be Peeta- I'm afraid he'd be able to read the crimes on my face- but I'm not prepared to see Gale's face walk through the door. I feel myself sit up taller and hope my maids didn't notice.

"Pardon me, miss" he says to Tig. "I'm Officer Hawthorn. I'm here to speak to Lady Katniss about some security measures."

"Of course," she says, smiling brighter than usual and gesturing for Gale to enter. In the corner I see Stacy nudge Annie who lets out a tiny giggle.

When he hears the sound, Gale turns towards them and bows his head. "Ladies."

Stacy ducks her head and Annie's cheeks look redder than her own hair, but they don't answer. Tig, though, who also seems taken by Gale's good looks, is put together enough to speak at least.

"Shall we leave, miss?"

I consider this. I don't want to see too obvious, but some privacy would be nice.

"Only for a moment. Officer Hawthorne won't need me for long." I decide and they whisk right out of the room. Once they had disappeared behind the door, Gale speaks.

"You're wrong, I'm afraid. I'm going to be needing you for a very long time." He winks at me.

I shake my head. "I still can't believe you're here."

Wasting no time, Gale takes off his hat and sits on the edge of my bed, setting his hands so our fingers barely touch. "I never though I'd count the draft as a blessing, but if it gives me a chance to apologize to you, I'll be forever grateful."

I'm stunned to silence.

Gale looks deep into my eyes. "Please forgive me, Katniss, I was so, so stupid, and I've regretted that night at the rock since I left the forest. I was too stubborn to say anything and then your name got called . . . I didn't know what to do." He stops for a second. it looks like he has tears in his eyes. Is it possible that Gale had been crying for me the way I'd been crying for him? "I'm still so in love with you."

I bite my lip to hold back my tears. I need to be sure of one thing before I can even think about this.

"What about Brenna?"