s e v e n t y - t h r e e

The day after Nicoletta and Georgia leave, I catch myself looking over my shoulder a lot. I'm sure someone knows what I'd said, what I'd handed to the rebels in a brief afternoon. I keep reminding myself that if anyone had overheard, I would have been arrested by now. Seeing as I still am enjoying a wonderful breakfast with the other Elite and the royal family, I have to believe that everything is fine. Besides, Peeta will defend me if he needs to.

After breakfast, I go back to my room to touch up my makeup. While I'm in the bathroom, a knock sounds at the door. It's just Annie and me, and she goes to see who it is while I finish up. A minute later, she pops her head around the corner.

"It's Prince Peeta," she whispers.

I whip my head around. "He's here?"

She nods, beaming. "He remembered my name."

"Of course he did," I reply with a smile. I put everything down and run my fingers through my hair. "Lead me out, then leave quietly."

"As you wish, miss."

Peeta stands tentatively at the door, uncharacteristically waiting for an invitation to enter. He holds a small thin box, and he drums his fingers against it, fidgeting. "Sorry to interrupt. I was wondering if I could have a moment."

"Of course," I say, walking over. "Please come in." Peeta and I perch on the edge of my bed.

"I wanted to see you first," he says, getting situated. "I wanted to explain before the others come bragging."

Explain? For some reason the words put me on edge. If the others are bragging, I'm about to be excluded from something.

"What do you mean?" I bite at my freshly glossed lip.

Peeta passes the box over to me. "I'll clarify, I promise. But first, this for you."

I untie the bow and unhook and small button in the front so I can open it. I think I inhale every millimeter of air in the room.

Resting inside the box are a breathtaking set of earrings and a matching bracelet. They coordinate beautifully with green gems woven into a subtle floral design.

"Peeta, I love it, but I can't possibly take this. It's too . . . too . . ."

"On the contrary, you must take them. It's a gift, and it's a tradition that you wear them in the Convicting."

"The what?"

He shakes his head. "Effie will explain all that; but the point is, it's a tradition for the prince to present the Elite with jewelry and for them to wear the pieces to the ceremony. there will be quite a few officials there, and you need to look your best. And unlike the things you've been presented with so far, these are real and yours to keep."

I smile. Of course we wouldn't have been given real jewelry to wear until now. I wonder how many girls have taken things home, thinking that if they hadn't gotten Peeta, at least they get a few thousand in jewelry.

"They're wonderful, Peeta. Just my taste. Thank you."

Peeta raises a finger. "You're welcome, and that's the part of what I wanted to discuss. I chose the gifts for each of you personally and intended that they should all be equal. However, you prefer to wear the necklace for your father, and I'm sure it would be a comfort to you in the middle of something as big as the Convicting. So, while the others get necklaces, you have a bracelet."

He reaches over my hand and lifts. "And I see you're attacked to this little button, and I'm glad you still like the bracelet I brought back from New Asia, but they really aren't approach. Try this on and see how it rests."