s i x t y - e i g h t

I can't tell how long we've been traveling, but I'm very aware of every move the giant truck makes. Peeta, in an effort to keep us stable, has pushed his back against the shelf and braced a leg across me on the wall, caging me in. But even with that, we both slide a bit against the metal floor at every turn.

"I don't like not knowing where I am," Peeta says, trying to secure us in.

"Have you ever been out in the Capitol before?"

"Only in car," he confesses.

"Is it strange that I feel better going into the den of rebels than I did when I had to entertain the women of the Italian royal family?"

Peeta laughs. "Only you."

It's hard talking over the rumble of the engine and the squeal of the wheels, so we're quiet for a while. In the dark, the sound feels bigger. I inhale deeply, trying to focus myself, and notice a hint of coffee in the air. I can't tell if it's some lingering scent in the truck of or we're passing a shop on the road. After what feels like a very long time, Peeta puts his lips to my ear.

"I wish you were safe at home, but I'm really glad you're here." I laugh quietly. I doubt he can hear it, but he probably feels it, we're so close. "Promise me that you'll run though."

I decide that I'll be no help to Peeta if something really bad happens anyway. I search and put my mouth to his ear. "I promise."

We go over a pretty jarring bump, and he grabs me. I feel our noses brush in the dark, and the urge to kiss him comes unexpectedly fast. Though our kiss on the roof had only been three days ago, it feels like an eternity. He holds me close, and I can feel his breath on my skin. It's coming; I'm sure of it.

Peeta uses his nose, nudging my cheek bring our lips close together. The same way I could smell coffee and hear every tiny squeak in the dark, the lack of light makes me focus on that warm scent that hangs around Peeta, feeling the pressure of his finger move up my neck to the pieces of his hair peeking out from under my cap.

In the second before our lips touch, the truck comes to an abrupt stop, flinging us forward. I knock my head against the wall, and am pretty sure I feel Peeta's teeth against my ear.

"Ow!" he exclaims, and I feel him adjusting his position in the dark. "Are you hurt?"

"No. My hair and the hat took most of it." If I hadn't wanted that kiss so badly, I would probably laugh right now.

As soon as we stop, we start moving slowly in reverse. After a few second, the truck halts again and the engine cuts off. Peeta switches positions again, and it feels as if he is ducking low in a crouch, facing the door. I get into a similar position as one of Peeta's hands come back to protect me, just in case.

The light of the streetlamp coming into the cabin is shocking, and I squint against it as someone climbs into the back of the truck.

"We're here," says Officer Boggs. "Follow me closely."

Peeta stands and extends a hand to me. He lets go to hop out of the truck and immediately slides his hand back into mine. The thing I notice right away if the large brick wall cornering us in the alley, followed by the stinging smell of something rotting. Gale is standing in front of us, looking around intently, holding a gun low in his hand.

He and Boggs start moving toward the back entrance of the building, and we keep close to them. The walls surrounding us are high. Gale knocks on the grime-covered door and waits. It cracks open, a small chair there to protect whoever is inside. But I see August's eyes before the door is quickly shut again. The next time, it opens wide, and August pushes us all in.