t h i r t y - s e v e n

Both Glimmer's and my injuries are minimal, so we're sent back to our rooms within the hour. They stagger our release times so we don't leave together, and thank goodness for that.

As I turn the corner at the top of the stairs, I see a guard coming towards me. Gale. Even though he's bigger after being bulked up from training, I know his walk and his shadow and a thousand other things that are ingrained in my heart.

As he approaches, he stops to give me an unnecessary bow. "Jar," he whispers, and rises again, continuing on his path.

I stand there for a split second, confused, and then realize what he means. Fighting the urge to run, I move down the hall eagerly.

I open the door and am surprised and relieved to find that all three of my maids are out.

I go over to the jar on my bedside table and see that the one little penny has company. I open the lid and pull out the folded sheet of paper. How clever of him. My maids probably wouldn't have noticed it, and if they had, they would never intrude my privacy.

I unfold the note and read a very clear list of instructions. It seems Gale and I have a date tonight.

-

The directions Gale gave me are complicated. I take a roundabout way to get to the first floor, where I am supposed to look for the door next to the five-foot-high vase. I remember that vase from wandering the palace before.

I find the door and look around to double check that no one sees me. No one in sight. I open the door slowly and creep inside. The moon shines through the window, giving the room sparse light and making me a little nervous.

"Gale?" I whisper into the darkness, feeling silly and scared all at once.

"Just like old times, eh?" his voice calls, though I can't see him.

"Where are you?" I squint, trying to find his form. The the shadow of the heavy drape by the window shifts in the moonlight, and Gale appears from behind it.

"You startled me," I complain jokingly.

"Wouldn't be the first time, won't be the last." I hear the smile in his voice. I walk over to him, knocking into every obstacle along the way it seems. "Shhh!" he complains. "The entire palace is going to know we're here if you keep pushing things over. Shouldn't you be good at walking around quietly? You're a hunter."

"Yeah, sure, I can walk quietly in the dark woods, but not in a random dark room in the palace that I've never been in. Can't we turn on a light?"

"No. If someone sees it shining under the door, we might get caught. This corridor isn't checked a lot, but I want to be smart."

"How did you even know about this room?" I reach out, making contact with Gale's arms at least. He pulls me in for a hug then starts walking to towards the back corner.

"I'm a guard," he says simply. "And I'm very good at what I do. I know the entire grounds of the palace, inside and out. Every last pathway, all the hiding spots, and even most of the secret rooms. I also happen to know the rotations of the guards, which areas are usually the least checked, and the points in the day when the guards are at their fewest. If you ever want to sneak around the palace, I'm the guy to do it with."

"Unbelievable," I mumble. We sit behind the board back of a couch, the floor blanketed in a patch of moonlight. Finally, I can make out Gale's face.

I question him seriously. "Are you sure this safe?" If he hesitates at all, I plan to bolt that very second. For both our sakes.

"Trust me, Katniss. An extraordinary number of things would have to happen for someone to find us here. We're safe." I'm still worried, but I need to be comforted so badly, I go along. He wraps an arm around me and pulls me in close. "How are you doing?"