f o r t y - f o u r

The day after the Italian reception we gather in the Women's Room after breakfast. The queen is absent, and none of us knows what that means.

"I bet she's helping Effie write up the final report," Esim guesses.

"I don't think she's supposed to have much of a say," Delly counters.

"Maybe she's hung over," Nina offers as she presses her fingers to her temples.

"Just because you are doesn't mean she is," Glimmer spits.

"Maybe she's not feeling well," I say. "Or resting up for the Report."

"I wonder if they'll talk about the reception on it." Delly says.

Glimmer groans. "I hated that stupid thing. You and Katniss lucked out."

"You're joking, right? Do you have any . . ." Delly's words drop off as a maid enters and brings me a folded note on a platter.

Everyone's eyes fall on me as I pick up the note and read it.

"Is that from Peeta?" Delly asks, trying not to seem as interested as she is.

"Yes." I don't look up.

"What's it say?" she probes.

"That he needs to see me for a moment."

Glimmer laughs. "Sounds like you're in trouble."

I sigh and stand to follow the maid out of the room. "Guess there's only one way to find out."

"Maybe he's finally kicking her out," Glimmer whispers loudly enough for me to hear.

"You think?" Nina asks a little too excitedly.

A chill runs through me. Maybe he is kicking me out! If he wants to spend time with me, wouldn't he had said it differently?

Peeta waits in the hallway, and I walk up timidity. He doesn't look upset, but he does seem tense.

I brace myself. "So?"

He takes my arm. "We have fifteen minutes. What I'm about to show you, you can't share with anyone. Do you understand?" I nod. "All right then." We dart up the stairs, all the way to the third floor. Gently but quickly, Peeta pulls me down the hallway to a set of white double doors. "Fifteen minutes," he reminds.

"Fifteen minutes."

He takes a key out of his pocket and unlocks one of the doors, holding it open so I can go in before him. The room is wide and bright, with lots of windows and two doors opening onto a balcony along the wall. There's a bed, a massive armoire, and a table with chairs; but other than that the room is empty. No paintings on the walls, no pieces on the inlaid shelves. Even the paint is a little drab.

"This is the princess's suite," Peeta says quietly. My eyes widen. "I know it's not much to look at right now. The princess is supposed to choose the decor, so once my mother moved to the queen's suite, the room was stripped." Peeta comes up behind me. "Those doors go to the balcony. And over there"-he points to the other end of the room- "those doors go to the princess's personal study. Right here"- he notes a door to our right- "this goes to my room. Can't have the princess too far off."

I feel myself blush thinking of sleeping here with Peeta so close.

He steps toward armoire. "And this? Behind this piece of furniture is the escape to the safe room. You can get to the other places in the palace this way, too, but that's its main purpose." He sighs. "This is a slight misuse, but I thought it would be worth." Peeta places his hand on a hidden latch, and the armoire and the panel of wall behind it swings forward. I see him smile at the space behind it. "Right on time."