t h r e e

Gale is dressed is white. He looks angelic. We're in District Twelve still, but there's no one else around. We're alone, but we don't miss anyone. Gale weaves twigs together to make me a crown.

"Katniss," Mom crows, jarring me from my dreams. She flicks on the lights, burning my eyes, and I rub my hands into them, trying to adjust. "Wake up Katniss, I have a proposal for you."

I look at my alarm clock. Just past seven, so that was. . . five hours in bed.

"Is it more sleep?" I mumble, shoving my face into my pillow, wishing to go back to my dream.

"No, honey, sit up. I have something serious to discuss." I work myself into a sitting position, clothes rumpled, and hair sticking out in strange directions. Mom claps her hands over and over, as if it will speed up the process. "Come on, wake up." I yawn. Twice. "I think you will make an amazing princess..." I sigh. It's way too early for this. That's when I remember what I said to Gale last night. That I will try... I have to do this. For Gale. "And I have a deal for you." I perk up a bit. What could she possibly have to offer me? "If you sign up, then you can keep half of what you get from trading."

I jump up. "Really?!" My mom nods. "Oh, thank you!" I hug my mom tight.

"But, remember. Only if you sign up." I nod graciously.

"You know I can only agree to sign up, right? I can't make then pick me."

"I know, I know. I just figured, you'll be going out on your own soon enough, so might as well be earning some of your own money." I hug her again. "Just, don't forget about us okay? We still need you."

"I won't Mom, I promise."

I take a shower and process everything that's happened in less then twenty-four hours. By simply filling out a form, I'm winning the approval of my family, making Gale happy, and earning money that could help me and Gale get married!

I'm not so concerned about the money, but Gale insists that we need some savings of our own first. It cost a bit to do the legal stuff, and we wanted to have a very small party with our family after our wedding. I figure it wouldn't take very long for us to save for that once we decided we're ready, but Gale wants more. Maybe, finally, he'll trust that we won't always be strapped if I do some serious work.

After my shower, I put my hair in it's usual side braid, then went to my closet and got dressed. I put on some black leggings and a forest green tunic top, by far the most exciting clothes I own. I feel kind of pretty today. Maybe it's just the excitement behind my eyes.

Mom's in the kitchen with Prim who stares at me as I picked up the piece of paper off the table. Such high-quality paper, I've never felt anything like it. Thick and slightly textured. For a moment the weight of the paper hits me, reminding me of the magnitude of what I was doing. Two words jumped into my head: What if?

But, I shake my head and put pen to paper. It's straightforward enough. I fill in my name, age, district, and contact information. I have to put my height, weight, hair, eye, and skin color, too. I list the highest grade level I have completed, which would be 12th, I just finished high school a month ago. It also asks me how many languages I speak, which I just list English. I don't have the time or need to learn other languages.

"Do you think sleep counts as a talent?" I ask. Prim laughs.

"Yes, list that!" She says happily.

"Oh, the both of you! Why don't you just write down that you're an absolute heathen!" Mom storms out of the room. I give Prim a questioning look, but she just shrugs her shoulders. I fill out the rest of the forms and go and find Mom in her room stitching up some of Prim's old ragged clothes to trade.

"Doneee!" I say holding the signed paper up into the air.

"That's my girl! Let's go, I want to get yours in as soon as possible. And here." She takes something out of her closet and hands it to me. Her blue dress.

"Thank you. But, why do I need to wear a dress?"

"You have to look pretty for your picture."

"Picture?"

"Yes... People are beginning to think that this poll isn't much of a poll at all. I heard when I was over at the hospital. Don't you think it's weird that they asked for how many languages you speak, I mean, why else would it matter?"

That had struck me as random, but I guess I just thought it was for after the fact.

"Well, thanks for helping me, Mom."

"Of course, sweetie. Now, go get changed and come to the living room when your ready, I want to do your hair." I nod and head over to my room, shutting the door behind me and putting on the dress. It ended right about my knees, and was a sky blue color. It's much better then what I was wearing before. I slide on some black sandals I have in the back of my closet and walking back to the living room.

My mother puts my hair up into some braided style that I don't know the name of. I look in the mirror in our bathroom, feeling prettier than I had earlier but nothing like myself.

"Prim, we're heading out, we'll be back in a bit, be good while we're gone!" Mom shouts into the house before closing the door. I hear a faint 'Okay!' come from inside as we head onto the sidewalk.

Mom and I walk all the way to the Justice Building, which is just the place where important meetings or events are held pertaining to our district.

We obviously aren't the only ones trying to get our submission in right away. By the time we got there, the street in front of the Justice Building is packed with women.

Standing in line, I can see a number of girls from my neighborhood in front of me. Most of them are way overdone for the picture. How some of them even afforded their clothes, I don't know. Some girls are drowning in cleavage or have their hair up in miraculous designs, some have on giant poofy dresses. Some girls faces are caked in makeup (why spend money on such things?) which makes them look more like clowns.

I feel a sudden flutter of worry, but push it away when I remember that it's a good thing if I don't look as good as the other girls. The line goes by quickly and I make sure to think about Gale when I take the picture, so my smile is genuine.