Chapter 22

Tris' Pov

           I just stand there, my hands tightly wrapped around Tobias' torso. He lifts his head from my shoulder and looks at me with his red, puffy eyes. "You can't stay there anymore. Stay with me." I offer. He nods and laces his fingers with mine. When we reach the front door, I wipe his eyes with my hand and smile. "Let's go in." Tobias proposes.

          Once we got inside, Zeke and Uriah shot us worried looks while Lynn and Shauna were getting stuff from the fridge. I barely shake my head, telling them to not ask questions. As I am about to sit on the bare floor, Christina runs in through the open front door with a breathless Will behind her. "WHY IS THERE A MOVING TRUCK OUTSIDE?!" She yells. "Ran... here... from... Starbucks." Will pants, resting on the door frame. "Guys, sit down. We have news." Shauna announces. We all sit down in a circle on the hardwood floor and I rest my head on Tobias' shoulder. Lynn decides to speak up, "So, as you guys may have noticed, our house is is empty and there is a moving truck outside. So act like an erudite and use your brains." I smirk at her comment, looking down at the floor. Is this really the last time I am going to see her? And Shauna? Plus, their parents, the people who decided to adopt me when no one else would? After Shauna explains everything about New York and moving, we all decide to go to the movies and end up watching A Haunted House 2. Even when we exited the theatre, everyone was laughing so hard that they could like no joke piss their pants right here, right now. This is truly one of the best moments of my life.

       There was a lot of crying when we were bidding our goodbyes. Tobias however, didn't shed a tear. He wasn't really close with Shauna and Lynn anyways. It is now about 4 o'clock when everyone has left, and me and Tobias are sitting outside on the porch, waiting for my new family to arrive. After about 20 minutes, a black Grand Caravan drives up into the driveway. I quickly stand up, wiping my hands on my jeans, nervousness slowly creeping up my spine. Tobias pats my back, "You ready?" I nod slowly in return, even though I'm not so sure. A tall, well-built man steps out of the driver's seat, and a shorter, and more slim woman comes out the passenger seat. She is, to be honest, really pretty. Her long, red locks flow down over her shoulder and end about mid-back. Her figure suits her just perfectly. Unexpectedly, a teenager that looks about my age steps out of the back seat. Then, a pretty little girl about 12 years old gets out of the car from the other side. They all walk up to me and introduce themselves, "Hello, Beatrice," The lady, probably the mom, begins. "I'm Lily. And this is my husband Eric." She tells me, gesturing toward the man. "Hi, Lily and Eric. Call me Tris, please." I tell them. They nod and turn to their children, "This is our son Caleb," Eric begins, "And our daughter Madison." I smile and shake their hands.

"Welcome to your new home, I guess," I say.