o n e

Part One: The Selection

My mother and Prim are ecstatic when the letter comes in the mail. I already know that I do not want to be a Selected, a One, I don't even want to try. I don't want to be thrown into some stupid world with crowns and poofy dresses. But, Prim and Mom have already decided that this will solve all of our problems, and that if I say no then I'm the bad guy. I have stated my opinions about this, my completely honest ones, but they have not listened.

I hid in my room all day, but dinner time is soon arriving, and being the oldest sibling means that dinner duties fall on me. I creep to the kitchen, as if being quiet will at all help calm the snake pit I'm about to walk into.

I get a glare from Mom, but no words. We do a silent dance around the kitchen, setting the table, chopping the strawberries, mixing the pot on the stove. When the table is set, our table for three, plates filled with strawberries sprinkled with the small amount of sugar we can afford, rabbit and turkey stew and tea with mint leaves. She always makes my favorite things for dinner when she's trying to convince me to do something.

Mom gets Prim from her room and brings her to eat. We all sit at the table and eat silently, but of course, Mom breaks that.

"Would it kill you to sign the form?" She hisses. I groan, thinking about filling out the paper that puts me into that stupid poll. "The Selection could be an amazing opportunity for all of us. Do you care about our family at all?"

I sigh. Of course, she has to pull that card.

"Yes, Mother, I do."

It was no secret that the rebels, AKA a few other countries that hate Panem, our country, have been attacking us recently. They weren't being quiet about it at least. I heard on the Capitol Report that they had vandalized some cars in District Two and they had attacked the palace a few times, with swords and things.

So, it's pretty amazing thinking about all the reasons why I should stay here.

Panem, a country that used to be The United States of America, a democracy, before war broke out and President Cornelius Snow took over. He split Panem into twelve districts, and they get poorer as they go, which means that we are the poorest of them all, pretty much dirt compared to the Capitol, where the palace is, and where everyone that's stinking rich is.

After President Snow died of some disease, we became a monarchy, and King Clark and Queen Mary stood up in his place. They started the Selection to distract everyone, keep people happy for however long it lasted.

That's what they want me to sign up for.

The Selection happens when the King and Queen's son, the prince, turns eighteen. A letter gets sent out to every girl who is also turning eighteen that year, or who is eighteen to twenty and you get put into a poll if you sign up. They pick 24 names, and those 24 girls that were picked get to compete for the heart of the prince, compete to take his hand in marriage. During the Selection, your family gets awarded with plenty of money and food.

They want me to go for that, and because they want to see me on TV wearing pretty dresses and dancing with the prince. So, when King Clark and Queen Mary started it, which was when their son, Harry Mellark came of age, he got together with the princess and soon to be queen, Agatha. And after his parents died, they became King Harry and Queen Agatha. They are king and queen are today, and they're doing The Selection for their son, who turned eighteen last October. So, they've probably been planning this for a while. I turned eighteen only a week ago.

If I had been smarter, I would have hid the stupid letter before dinner had started, but now, here it is, in Mom's hand mid-meal.

"Read it Mom! Please!" Prim squealed excitedly. I roll my eyes. Mom unfolds the delicate paper and begins to read the cursive.