Chapter 5: "we all prefer you to Jasmine"

We split up into 2 teams even though there was an odd number of people, Brad, Connor and James on one team and me and Tristan on another. We worked out it was best to not have an assigned goal keeper, the closest person to the goal at the time would defend it which seemed like the easier option when the teams are uneven. I used my bag and my hoodie as goal posts and the other goal posts were made from the boys hoodies. Connor started the game off by passing the ball to Brad and Tristan charged towards the ball, I stood back and watched as I didn't really know what I should do, I watched as Connor dribbled the ball all the way down the pitch and Tristan tried to defend the goal but it came to no avail, Connor scored. "GOAL!" Connor screamed and skidded on the sand which made me giggle. "Hayley! You have gotta help me out here." Tristan whined and I giggled. "Sorry, I just don't really know what I am meant to be doing." I explained. "Just get the ball in their goal." Tristan said and I nodded.

This time Tristan started off with the ball and he passed it to me, it rolled in front of my feet and I panicked as I watched the boys run towards me. "Run!" Tristan shouted, I did what I was told and tackled Connor before running with the ball beneath my feet. I kept on running until I was about 2 meters away from the goal and I thought I was going to score but Connor sneakily ran up next to me and tackled the ball, I attempted to tackle the ball away from him but this resulted in me tripping over his foot and falling face first into the sand. I felt the sand scrape up my arms and my head hit the floor before I saw feet running towards me. "Hayley! Are you ok?" I heard Tristan ask, before I could answer I felt my body being pulled up into a seated position. "I'm so sorry!" Connor exclaimed and I smiled, trying to ignore the burning pain on my arms. "It's fine! I'm fine." I replied and then I felt someone lift my arm up, I looked over to see Brad examining my arms. "You're bleeding." Brad said, I nodded and he carefully placed my arm back down before running over to my bag. He grabbed some tissues from my bag and ran back over to me before sitting down next to me on the sand, he placed some tissue over my arms and I flinched a little. "Seriously Connor, I'm fine. It's just a scratch, I'll live." I explained and rested my good arm on Connors shoulder. "Are you sure?" He asked and I nodded. "I have some plasters in my bag, just put one of them on it and I will be fine." I said, he nodded and ran over to my bag to collect some plasters. These boys are acting like I have broken my arm or something, it's just a scratch...

I turned my head towards Brad and smiled. "Thank you." I said and he looked at me before smiling. "For what?" He asked. "Helping." I replied and he winked. "Anytime." He said and took the plasters from Connor, did he just wink at me?

Once the plasters had been applied the boys helped me stand up and I brushed the sand off of my trousers and t-shirt. "Would you mind if I sat this game out?" I asked and the boys smiled at me. "Go for it." Connor replied and I walked over to the wall at the top of the beach, I climbed up it before sitting on the edge and looking out towards the boys to see Brad looking at me. He gave me the thumbs up as if to ask if I was ok and I replied by giving him the thumbs up in return, I sat on the wall and watched them play football for about half an hour before the boys walked over to me and joined me on the wall.

"Who wants some chips?" James asked and the boys all cheered. "Hayley?" Tristan asked. "Yeah sure, I will come with you so I can pay for mine." I explained and Tristan laughed. "What?" I asked. "I will pay for yours." Brad explained and I gave him a confused look. "Why?" I asked. "Because it's a nice thing to do." Brad explained. "No it's ok, I will pay for mine." I replied. "No, you aren't paying for yours and that's that." Brad explained and I gave him a sympathetic smile, if I didn't agree to come then he wouldn't of had to have paid for my lunch. I sat on the wall with James and Connor while Brad and Tristan walked up to the chip shop, I decided to take this time to do what I have wanted to do for years, think at the beach. I should probably explain my family situation as well while I'm taking the time to think about things...