Oh, How The Tables Have Turned

After I told Rebecca about Andy being John’s drug dealer, she asked me a few questions like how I found out and that type of stuff. She left shortly after because she wanted to talk to him as soon as possible.

I had John pick me up and drive me home since I was having a harder time walking and when we pulled into the driveway, there was a moving van outside the house.

“What’s that for?” John asked.

“I don’t know. Maybe Meagan had some other stuff she needed moved in but I think we would have just moved it ourselves.”

“Do you mind if I come in with you?”

“No.”

We went inside and saw a bunch of boxes.

“I wonder what’s going on.” I said.

“Well, someone is obviously moving.”

I looked at him with an ‘are you dumb?’ look. “Obviously.”

I started walking to the kitchen. "Mom? What’s going on?” I yelled.

“We’re down here Lexi. In Meagan’s room.”

John and I walked into Meagan’s room and found it almost completely empty.

I looked around and then sat on the bed because my feet were hurting.

Meagan looked like she had been crying. “I have to move. My aunt called this morning and said she was sending a moving van. I didn’t really believe her but then me and your mom heard a knock on the door and there it was. 4 guys were getting boxes out of the back of the truck and one standing at the door. I’m leaving.”

“Where does your aunt live? Maybe you can still go to the same school?”

“No, there isn’t any way. She lives in a different state.”

“I’m so sorry Meagan. I really hoped this would work out. I was finally getting the sister I never had.”

“Me too Lexi.”

“When are you leaving?”

“Sometime tomorrow. When my aunt called, she said that the van would be here and it would take my stuff to her house and then she would start driving here after she got off of work. She said she would get off at five and it would take about eight hours to get here. She was going to get a hotel and pick me up in the morning.”

I wanted to cry but I knew I couldn’t because that would just make Meagan cry and I knew she had been crying enough lately so I forced myself to hold back the tears.

“I’m gonna miss you.” I said.

“I’m gonna miss you too. You were the only real friend I had here.”

“What are you talking about? You had plenty of friends.”

“Not really,” she paused, “they were just kind of there. I didn’t really like any of them and I wouldn’t tell them anything. They were just people surrounding me.”

“This is kind of off subject, but I have a check-up tomorrow. Would you like to come?”

“Me?” Meagan asked.

“Yeah, I think one time you told me that you wanted to hear their heartbeats and we’re gonna do that tomorrow so maybe your aunt would stay and let you go with me and John.”

“Lexi, you remember some of the weirdest things. But I would love to go. I’ll call my aunt and ask her if that would be ok.”

There was a knock on Meagan’s door. It was one of the moving men. He was an older man, probably in his early 50s.