The Talk

It was about 15 minutes before my parents called me down to talk about whatever..

“Sit down.” dad said pointing to the same blue chair that I sat in when I got in trouble for ‘going to that party’. I was kind of starting to think that it was my ‘in trouble’ chair.

I sat down. “Ok. I’m sitting. What do you want?”

“How long have you and John been dating?” Dad asked.

“A little longer than a year.”

“Ok. You two have been seeing a lot of each other lately haven’t you?”

“Yeah, what’s going on? You’re not gonna make me break up with him are you?” I asked.

“No honey. We wouldn’t do that. We think that you have the right to date who you want even if we don’t like them.” Mom said.

“Ok. So what are you saying then?” I asked.

“What we’re saying is that we need to have the uh…-” 

“The talk” Mom interrupted because she obviously knew that dad wouldn’t be able to finish it.

“Wait.” I said. “You mean the sex talk don’t you?”

“Yes. That’s what we mean.” Mom said.

“Oh no. Please no. Anything but that!” I said.

“Lexi, trust me, we don’t wanna do this either, but we have to. Me and your mother made a promise to each other that when you had a boyfriend longer than one year, we would talk to you about this.” Dad said.

“Please don’t do this to me!” I was practically begging.

“Sorry Lexi. We have to.” Mom said, her voice stern.

“Wait.” I said. “There’s something I need to tell you.”