Humiliation

As I was running out, I saw John get up and run after me.

“Lexi.”

We were in the hallway at this point.

“John, I can’t believe he did that!” I hugged him.

“It’s ok. Just try to calm down a little bit.”

I looked at him, and shook my head. “How could he do that to me? He doesn’t have the right to tell the entire school that I’m pregnant.”

“I know. I don’t know what his problem is.”

“I need to call my mom.”

We both walked to the main office because you couldn’t use phones during school hours, only before the first bell and after the last bell.

Janet, the secretary, was the only one in there.

“Hi Lexi. Hi John.” She said happily. She always had a smile on her face and a good attitude. She also cared about everyone in the school. “What’s the matter Lexi?”

“Mr. Jones just told the entire school that I’m pregnant.”

“He doesn’t have the right to do that. That’s your personal information.”

“Yeah, so I was wondering if I could call my mom and ask her to take me home.”

“Sure honey.”

She handed me the phone and I dialed my mom’s cell phone number.

“Hello?” She said.

“Mom?”

“Yeah, honey what’s the matter? You sound like you’ve been crying.”

“Mr. Jones told the entire school that I’m pregnant, thanks to you!”

“Oh, I’m sorry. So what do you need?”

“I need you to pick me up.”

“Honey, it’s your first day of school you can’t leave.”

“Mom, I have to. If I stay people are gonna be making fun of me all day.”

“They’ll do it tomorrow too.”

I couldn’t believe my mom. She was like a completely different person. Normally she would take my side and try to comfort me, but now she was telling me to deal with it.

“Whatever mom. Bye.”

I hung up.

“Well, is she picking you up?” Janet asked.

“No. Can I just stay in here for a little while?”

“Sure.”

“Do you want me to stay with you?” John asked.

“If it’s ok.” I said while looking at Janet.

“Sure. If you need John to stay with you, it’s alright with me.”

“Thanks.”

John and I sat in the office for the first two periods and part of third period. I finally decided that I could try to get through at least part of a class. I had chemistry with John third hour so I figured that would be a good time to try.

We walked slowly to the classroom. John had his arm around me the whole time, still trying to comfort me.

We walked into the classroom and the whispers and stares started again.

We went to the two empty desks which, thankfully, were right next to each other.

“Good to see you Miss Thompson and Mr. Walker.” The teacher, Mrs. Hernandez said.

Neither of us responded.

“We were just going over the rules of the classroom, which if you had me last year, you already know them.”

She continued with the rules, and the people kept staring. Rebecca was in the class and gave me a sympathetic look. The half-hour that we were in there felt like an eternity, but finally the bell rang.

John and I left and went to our lockers. Meagan was at hers. I tried avoiding her but she started talking to me.

“Hey Lexi. So you’re pregnant?”

“Yeah.” I said, angrily.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Before Mr. Jones went and told everybody, only 4 people in the whole school knew, so don‘t feel bad that I didn‘t tell you.”

“You could’ve told me, we were like best friends!”

“I’m sorry.”

“Oh well, it’s not my problem. Bye.” She had turned into a jerk over the summer.

As we were walking to fourth period, Rebecca stopped us.

“Lexi, I’m so sorry about what happened! I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now.”

“Thanks Rebecca, but I think I’ll be fine as long as I have John with me.”

“Ok, but, I just want you to know that tomorrow I’m gonna tell everyone that I’m pregnant just so you don’t have to go through this alone.”