Maternity Clothes

I was 3 months pregnant and I was just starting to show. I was worried that people that didn’t know I was pregnant would start judging me. 

School was going to start in 1 week. I was really worried about that too.

My mom, Rebecca, Jess, and I went to go shopping for new clothes. 

Jess and Rebecca finally made up after I told Rebecca what had happened to Jess.

The first place we went was Forever 21. This was Rebecca’s favorite store. I also liked it. Jess hated it though. The clothing definitely wasn’t her style. 

After that we went to Hot Topic because that’s the only place Jess would buy clothes from. I found a few cute tops that I liked.

We went to lunch at Taco Bell because I had been craving tacos all day.

As we were eating, I starting thinking to myself about maternity clothes. 

“Mom.” I said.

“Yeah?”

“When will I start needing to wear maternity clothes?”

“Well, whenever you can’t fit into regular clothes anymore.”

“Do you think we should maybe buy some today or should we wait?”

“It would probably be better to wait, but we could buy a few today.”

“Aren’t maternity clothes ugly?” Rebecca asked.

“Some are, but some can be really cute. It all depends on where you buy them.” Mom said.

“Well we need to go somewhere that sells cute ones.”

Rebecca was only about two months pregnant so she still fit into regular clothes pretty well.

“The baby store in the mall has some cute clothes.” I said.

“Ok. We can go there when we get done eating.” Mom said.

We finished eating and went back to the mall. The baby store was the first store you saw when you walked in. I knew exactly where everything was at because me and John had been in the store quit a few times. 

I led the way to where the maternity clothes were. There wasn’t a big selection but it was good enough for now. 

Me and Rebecca both got three tops and one pair of jeans. 

My shirts were black and white polka-dot, black and red stripes, and just a plain white shirt with ruffles down the front.

Rebecca got a plain black shirt, a plain white shirt, and a sky blue shirt like my white one.

We finished shopping and took everyone home and then we went home.

“Mom, what are people gonna think?”

“About what?”

“This.” I said, pointing to my stomach.

“Well, they’ll probably be mean about it, but if they are you need to just shake it off.”

“I don’t know if I’ll be able to handle this.”

“Yes you will. You’ll do fine.”

“What do you think the teachers will say?”

“I don’t know. But just remember, you will have Rebecca going through the same thing as you. You two are gonna have to stick up for each other and be with each other at all times.”

“I’m not ready for everyone at school to know I’m pregnant.”

“You’re gonna have to tell them sooner or later.”

“But how?”

“I don’t know. Tell the person who gossips the most, I guess.”

That made me smile. “Very funny mom.”

“Hey, I was just trying to help.”

“I know.”

School was going to start whether I liked it or not, and people would find out whether I liked it or not. I knew I wasn’t ready for all the stress that school would bring, but I was going to have to deal with it one way or another. At least I wasn’t going to go through it alone.