Lying To My Parents

When I woke up the next morning, I saw that I had missed two calls from John so I called him back.

“Hey.” He said.

“Hi, is everything ok?”

“Yeah, why?”

“Well, you called me twice. I was just making sure.”

“Oh, I just wanted to tell you I have the perfect night planned out. I can’t wait. Did you ask your parents yet?”

“No, I didn’t have time last night and I just woke up. I’ll ask them as soon as I get off the phone with you.” I said.

“Ok, well I can let you go so you can ask.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“Go ask.” He said. “Love you. Bye.”

“Love you too. I’ll just text you later, i’m not in the calling mood! Bye.”

I went downstairs, already knowing that the answer would be ‘no!’. My parents didn’t really like John. They would let me hang out with him during the day but never at night unless we were with other people and they knew who they were. And even then they were skeptical. They thought John was a bad guy who always broke the rules.

They were both in the dining room eating breakfast.

“Hi honey. Want some breakfast?” Dad asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “I have something to ask you guys.”

“Ok.” Dad said with his mouth full.

Dad had no table manners at all. He would talk with his mouth full, wipe his mouth with his sleeves, and put his elbows on the table.

“Can me and John hang out tonight?”

Mom and dad both looked at each other.

“What time?” Mom asked.

“Uhm, around 8.” I said, trying to make it unclear so they wouldn’t understand and say yes.

“No.” They both said in unison.

“Why? Don’t you trust me?”

“We trust you. We just don’t trust John.” Dad said.

“Fine.” I said.

I went up to my room to think of a plan so I could see John.

I called Meagan.

“Hey. What’s up?” She asked.

“I need you to cover for me tonight.”

“What?”

“Me and John want to hang out tonight at like 8, but my parents said no so I need you to cover for me.”

“How?” She asked.

“I’ll ask them if we can hang out, and they’ll say yes-”

“Wait. What if they say no?”

“They’ll say yes. Trust me. Anyways, they’ll say yes, then if they call you, you tell them i’m there and I don’t get in trouble.”

“I dunno if that will work, but I guess I can.” She said.

“Thanks. I love you so much. You’re a great friend, and if you ever need me to do the same for you, I won’t even think twice about it. Bye.”

“Bye.”

I went back downstairs.

“Mom, Dad?” I yelled.

“In here.”

“Hey, since I can’t hang out with John can me and Meagan hang out?”

“Sure, if it’s just you and Meagan.” Dad said suspiciously.

“It will be. Thanks.”

I texted John and Meagan to let them know what was going on.

I was lying to my parents, but I didn’t care because I was getting to be with John.