Better Or Worse

“A C-section?” I said quietly.

“Yes, there may be no other way to save them.”

“Can’t we try something else? Like an ice bath or something?”

“Well, we could but that’s more time the babies may get damaged.”

“I would rather do the ice bath and take the risk that my babies have a little bit of brain damage than have a C-section and possibly have my babies die!”

He took a deep breath. “Well, I guess I can’t argue with you so I’ll have the nurses get an ice bath ready for you as soon as possible.”

“Thank you doctor.”

He walked out of the room. I felt good about my decision of the ice bath.

“Are you sure you want to do the ice bath?” John asked.

“Yeah, do you think it’s the right thing to do?”

“I don’t know.” He hesitated. “I mean, if I was you, I wouldn’t have questioned the doctor.”

“Would you rather have our babies die?” I asked.

“No, but-”

I interrupted him. “John, don’t question me. I’m the mother of these children! I know what’s best for them and for me!”

“Sorry.” He whispered.

I paused. “I’m sorry too.”

“For what?”

“For blowing up on you. I shouldn’t have done that. You were just trying to tell me what you thought would be best for the babies.”

He smiled at me. “It’s ok.”

“Thanks.”

The nurses came in with a wheelchair. They took me to a back room where there was a bigger tub than the one that one that was in my room.

“Ok Lexi. You’re mom had to go home to get your swimsuit so we’re going to have to wait a few minutes before you can get into the bath.” The nurse said.

“Ok.”

“Would you like me to turn the TV on while you wait?”

“Uhm, sure.”

She turned the TV on and gave me the remote.

“You can turn it to whatever you like.” She smiled at me.

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“No, I mean thanks for everything.”

“What?”

“You’re all so nice to me here and I just— Thank you for that.”

She just smiled and walked out of the room.

I started watching Family Feud because I wanted something that would get my mind off of the babies.

A few minutes later, my mom and the nurse came in.

“Here’s your swimsuit Lexi. I hope it still fits.” Mom said.

“Thanks mom.”

She left the room.

“You can change in the bathroom.” The nurse pointed to a door across the room.

I walked in and changed.

The swimsuit was a little bit small but I managed to fit my way into it.

I walked back out and over to the bath tub.