Reasons For A Suicide Attempt

“What the hell John? One kid isn’t enough so you decide to have another one?”

“I don’t freaking want kids Lexi!”

“So why do you keep having sex?”

“I don’t know.”

I shook my head. “John, I can’t believe you.”

“Why?”

“First, you cheat on me with Rebecca, and then you find out Rebecca’s pregnant so you try to kill yourself and leave both of us to be single mothers? You’re a freaking selfish jerk!”

“Rebecca might not even be pregnant with my kid.”

“So why did you try to kill yourself?” I asked calmly.

“Because I’m tired of screwing up other people’s lives.”

“Whose life have you screwed up?”

“Yours, Rebecca’s, my parents.”

“Ok, well my life isn’t screwed up! I want this baby. And this isn’t the first time Rebecca’s been pregnant so I’m sure her life was screwed up long before you came along. And I don’t know what you’re talking about with your parents.”

“I’m the reason they’re getting divorced.”

“Says who?” I asked.

“Says my dad.”

“What did he say?”

“He told me that ever since he knew mom was pregnant with me, he knew his life was over. He said I wasn’t good for anything and that I should just go die. That’s why he cheated, because he doesn’t care about me and mom.”

“You believed him that you should go die?”

“Yeah, he said it to me all the time so eventually, I started to believe him.”

I could see the hurt in his eyes.

“John, your dad doesn’t know what he’s talking about.”

“Yeah, well I think he does know what he’s talking about. I’m not worth anything.”

“You are worth something.”

“What?” He asked.

“You’re the father of this baby.” I said while rubbing my stomach. “And I hope someday that you’ll be my husband.”

“Are you saying you forgive me?”

“Yeah.”