Dinner At John's

We were just sitting on the bed staring at each other. It was like we could read each other’s mind so we didn’t have to say anything.

There was a knock at the door. 

“Can I come in?” It was his mom.

“Yeah.” John said.

“Lexi, I was wondering if you would like to stay for supper.”

“Sure. I’d love to but I’ll have to call and ask my parents.”

“Ok. That’s fine.” She said.

I called my parents and they thought it was a great idea because they had already eaten.

“You know.” I said to John. “We’ve been dating for about a year and a half now, and I’ve been around your parents quite a few times, but I still don’t know their names.” 

He smiled. I hadn’t seen his gorgeous, crooked smile in what seemed like forever!

“Lexi, you can always manage to say something that can make me smile.” 

“That’s good, but I still don’t know your parents names.” I was smiling at him.

“My mom’s name is Brandi and my dad’s name is Rick.”

“Thanks. I mean, it would be kinda weird if I went through life not knowing what my babies grandparents names were.” I said.

“Yeah, it would.” He said.

We heard his mom calling so we went downstairs. Dinner was done. We were having hamburgers, French fries, and salad.

“This looks really good! Thanks for having me for dinner.” I said.

“My pleasure. You’re always welcome to come over and eat with us.” She said with a big grin.

For someone who was going through a divorce, she was happy. Either that or she was just hiding the pain really well.

Dinner was an awkward silence because John’s dad was there. Nobody talked. They all rushed so they could go their separate ways. 

After eating, I went home and went straight to bed. I had a long day and this day was just the beginning of my long days. It would be a long time until I would feel comfortable again.