Chapter 44: Money Before

"(y/n), you're taking too much space..." whined your captain.

Because of the bag of gold, your form was leaning against it, limbs sprawled all over and your legs were separated to lay on Luffy's each sides. Not your fault if you were tall. You bent your knee before giving a hard kick at the back of your captain's head.

"You're right. Why don't you swim behind while I take the reins?" you said as your heel dug in his skull.

"But I will drown..."

"Your problem. Not mine" you replied bluntly as both Nami and Usopp sweatdropped at the two of you.

"Anyway, it's amazing that such a convenient creature exists in the world" smiled Usopp and Nami hummed.

"It doesn't rock much. It's comfortable!"

The two Yagaras swam in a more residential area, with children playing with a ball across the streets of the city. There was even two men playing chess, women who dried their clothes on a rope...

"Hey, mister and ma'am! Where are you going? Sightseeing?" asked a man who was playing chess.

"To the shipyard! We're gonna have our ship repaired!" Luffy told him.

"Then go to the backstreet shopping district first!"

"Thanks!!"

"Backstreet shopping district...." repeated the navigator while she stared at the map, the sniper leaning over her shoulder to have a look. "We'll turn right ahead of here"

"Oh, my beautiful mademoiselles! How about one of you come to dinner with me tonight?" a man's head passed through a window and flirted with Nami and you. Until a hand reached forward and grabbed his ear, tugging on it. "OW. OW. OW"

"Don't worry about him. The guys around here say that like it's a greeting" smiled a woman, who was certainly his wife.

"What kind of greeting is that?" you deadpanned and Nami smiled nervously.

"At any rate, people in this town are generous to outsiders...or should I say they're overly friendly?" contemplated Usopp.

"Hey! You with the long nose!" called a citizen from the second level of a building and the sniper stared at him. "Nothing. I was just saying hey, that's all! Ha ha!"

"Want a fist in your face, pops?!" snarled Usopp with a pissed expression, his clenched fist shaking.

You continued to ride the Yagaras around the city, sometimes seeing and talking with more friendly people. They certainly weren't afraid of strangers and pirates. Suddenly, you reached two ways who went to separated ways.

"Ah, a hill is coming up. We're gonna go against the flow. Is that okay?" you demanded Nami. "I don't think we can go up..."

Your voice caught in your throat when your Yagara yanked forward and swam rapidly in direction of the hill. The Yagara of Nami and Usopp did the same with a happy yell, following closely the other.