Chapter 57

Chapter 57

The past few months have been hectic for us.  And when more gets piled over our shoulders, I would think there is no possible way to add more.  Then... this happens.  And it was the worst discovery we could make at this point in time.  To know she bugged my room... and actually had a plan of her own.  The scary part was we didn't know what that plan was.  We didn't know how much she knew.  And we didn't realize the number of different things she could do if she picked up some of our conversations.  Some of our more intimate moments as well.  So yeah... we are pretty fucked.

I stared at Luke for the longest moment.  It was cold in the garage.  But I felt a hot flush come over me.  A striking sensation of fear, a sickness that warmed my body to the point where I felt ready to boil over. My eyes were wide and my breath was noticeably erratic.  Hell, Clare might even have heard that!  She might have heard the drop of my heart.  Who the hell knows!  She might be listening to our thoughts too!  

His hands grasping my shoulders, eyes in mine and panicked, Luke still did his best to stay calm.  He knew we needed to.  Because if we were calm, we would have control.  His lips were parted, breathing deeply as his green eyes pierced mine, taking in my reaction - which was just staring back at him as my body felt ready to convulse.  I forced my mouth to move with my thoughts and it was harder than I thought it would be to say something.  "A-Are you sure?" I asked in a scared and broken voice, biting my lip to cut my heavy breathing off.  Stay calm... stay calm....  I just knew I really couldn't.

Luke sighed and nodded.  "Yes.  I'm sure.  I got up to go to the bathroom... and I found it.  It's under your dresser along the wall."

"Do you know if there are anymore?"

He shook his head and groaned, trying to appeal to my eyes.  "I don't know.  I'll look.  I'm just sure we would be safe out here.  There is no reason she would do it to the garage and it would be harder for her to stretch a mic out here."  He closed his eyes for a moment, and took a deep breath as I watched him.  Like he held the answers for everything.  I somewhat needed to believe that at the moment.  "This changes everything," he said under his breath, his eyes still tightly closed as I was still staring at him with wide eyes.

"How did you find it?" I whispered, breaking away from his grasp.  I felt too dizzy, too hot and sick... I took a shaky breath and moved over to the steps up to the door to the house.  I sat down on the top of the two steps and rested my sweaty palms against the cold cement surface.  My eyes lost for a moment, I looked back up to where he was standing, looking a more pale.  His jaw tightened and he turned, looking down to where I sat.

"I got up to go to the bathroom, and when I did, Jack jumped down from the bed to follow me.  Only when I came back into the bedroom, I thought Jack would jump back up in bed with you.  But he didn't.  I laid back down on the floor and I noticed that Jack kept sniffing around your dresser.  Then... then he started scratching at the floor around it, acting like a spaz.  I tried to get him to stop... and he actually did.  But he laid down with me on the floor and didn't jump back into the bed with you.  A few minutes later, he got back up, started digging at the edges around the dresser again. So... I looked around it and under to see what it was he wanted.  And I noticed this wire... this wire was sticking out from the floor against your wall."

I gave a shaky sigh and shook my head, closing my eyes, and resting my forehead in my hand.  Fucking bitch... I was seriously debating the idea of bringing up just killing her now.  I am so done with this shit.  I listened as Luke went on.

"I moved the dresser a little, and quietly at realizing what it might be.  And it was.  It was a small microphone wired through your floor and walls.  It was a more advanced listening device so I wouldn't be shocked to find more smaller ones that are wireless."