Chapter 39

Chapter 39

It was 2:09 in the afternoon when I woke up.  I wont say I was surprised by this.  It was a long hard day yesterday for us and when we went to bed at nearly 4:00 last night, what else should I have expected?  Well, I at least figured Luke would have gotten up in the middle of the night, either to change the dressing or to take another pain killer.  But I noticed, when I woke and checked the bag, it wasn't touched.  That's how you know someone is tired right there.  Where not even their own pain will wake them since I knew sleeping for him should have been a little hard because he was still hurting.

Now sitting up in bed, I looked over to where he lay beside me.  His back flat against the bed, his body only slightly shifted to the left, I took in his relaxed form.  The slow and even breathing he released, making his bare chest rise and fall - along with all his bandaged cuts covering him and the stitches.  The covers met his body half way down though so I couldn't see anymore of the damage done to him.  Taking in his smooth expression... it reminded me of the expressions he use to have for me.  A long time ago, right after we first met.  Where he was so good at surprising me and hiding things from me.  Oh how it would bother the fuck out of me!  But he was sleeping now and it had the opposite effect on me to see his blank face.  It was relief.  His body was so tense after what happened... I was just glad he didn't look to be in pain right now.  His eyelids blanketing those jade diamonds were smooth and settled; lips flat, forehead clear of lines from stress.  His hair was messier than usual, moving in directions only patterns of sleep could create. Arms resting at his side, I felt myself smile down at him.  Like I said before, even with it being the day after so much shit happened, I was just happy to be waking up beside him.  I knew though I needed to keep my mind busy today - like with those files.... 

Yes, today was surely going to be a big day.  Lets hope it goes smoothly enough without someone trying to kill us this time. 

Sighing, I raised a hand towards my head and ran my hand through my hair, pulling it back a bit as I slowly began to move.  Moving the covers from over me, I swung my legs from the bed and over the floor.  And when I stood up... I felt something rather strange.  When I stood up from the bed, I felt sore.  Which made no sense because the only thing that happened to me yesterday was that I was tackled a few times to the snow.  Damn... if I was sore from that, I can't even imagine how Luke is going to be feeling when he wakes up.

And I didn't want to be the one to wake him.  He needed his rest.  So that's why I left the bedroom as slowly and quietly as I could.  When I walked down the hall, I noticed I heard nothing - and Shannon's bedroom door was shut.  I could only assume after a late shift that ended late in the morning that she would be sleeping.  Which was more than fine with me.  Because even though I like Shannon, I didn't want to face her.  I just didn't want to explain to her what happened when I'm still trying to get it through my head.  And what better way to have peace and quiet than cooking breakfast.

That's right.  Before another crazy day starts, I wanted to make breakfast.  Breakfast for him, I should say.  He deserved it and I loved taking care of him.  So I would take advantage of this and the fact that I woke up first.  I could just tell he was so exhausted and sore... he needs he rest.  But when he does wake, hopefully I'll have breakfast done for him. After all, the dude went through hell yesterday, as did I, and in all honesty, it would just feel good to cook for him once when he usually is the one that always does it.

 When I opened up the fridge though in the small kitchen, I noticed it may be a harder task than I thought.  No eggs, like I planned on making.  My eyes, still blinking the sleep out of them, searched the rest of the cool fridge.  And nothing that said 'happy breakfast that will actually taste good' screamed at me.