Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Babysitting Brooke turned out to be just as fun as it had last time.  With endless games, some coloring, and cartoons, what could be any better?  Like before, it was as if I was living out a childhood I never had and though that was depressing when I really dwelled over it, I didn't let myself.  I just had fun and forgot about why this was so much fun. 

Not to mention, I felt relieved to be away from Luke, even if for only a couple hours.  I needed to move on and away from the relationship that only existed in my imagination.  So this did help.  Was it worth Francis leaving to uncover information?  No.  I had to deal with that though.  Like how Luke was willing to die for me, this put me on edge too, no matter how much fun I was having.  Francis was doing this for me and if anything happens, it will be my fault.  Not really a fan of the fact that he was gone and doing who knows what to fit back into the gang.  I just wanted him to be okay. 

By the time he got home, I was waiting anxiously on his couch, staring at the door.  I tried watching TV after I put Brooke to bed.  I tried distracting myself but it wouldn't work, especially when the TV was by the door and my eyes seemed to be attracted to that more.  Relief filled me at seeing him come through the door you could say. It was like 50 pounds lifted off my chest and though I just wanted to hug him, happy he was fine, I was proud of myself for not showing him my vulnerable side.

"Hey, how did you like your first official day on the job?" he asked me after he closed the door behind him and kicked off his boots, shaking the flakes of snow out of his hair.  Glancing up at me with that famous smirk of his, I noticed his cheeks were flushed red from the cold whether outside.  Hair messy and in all directions from the wind, I could still see the shine of grease in his now darker hair.  Once he shrugged that coat off next, I noticed his clothes consisted of what they use to be before he changed and became a better person. 

I sighed, watching him as he came into the room more.  His eyes resting in mine, he smiled to me politely more and let that smirk go as he walked closer towards me and sat down besides me.  I instantly noticed more about him now that was he closer.  He had goose-bumps running over his bare arms from where his tee-shirt didn't cover his skin and I noticed his glasses were a little foggy at the transition from cold air to warm in the house.  The most obvious thing I noted was that his scent was off from how it usually is.  At that second though, I ignored it and recalled his question needed an answer from me.

"It went good," I nodded, looking up to him beside me.  Smiling slightly at one of the couple memories of the night, I told him, "I colored a picture of an elephant and she drew a zebra.  I'm embarrassed to say she is much better at coloring than I am," I said, looking down in shame.  Mainly because it was true.

I heard Francis chuckle lightly under his breath and when I glanced back up to him, I saw he was smirking down to me. His hazel eyes held a spark of amusement over what I said as he searched my face.  Even after a long night, he could appreciate me spending time with his daughter and not only that, but making sure I enjoyed it as well.  After all, he knew I was enjoying this for the fact that I didn't exactly have the greatest childhood. 

A moment later, breaking my eyes from him and remembering what it was I wanted to ask him, I asked, "Did you learn anything new tonight?"

"No," he sighed.  "I didn't want to ask any questions.  It would look suspicious if every time I see them, I ask questions so it really was us just talking about nothing of any importance.  More like a 'catching up' thing.  I wanted them to be the first to bring anything up of relevance but they didn't," he said, pursing his lips and shrugging.

I bit my lip and nodded.  I was on board with what he said because the last thing I wanted was for them to be suspicious of him.  It was actually better in my opinion just for him to go with the flow and not to push for anything.  It would ensure his safety that much more.