Chapter 12

Chapter 12

"Okay, we will start with the basics," he said in a professional voice, one that made me smirk slightly. 

Standing before him in the living room, the coffee table and couch pushed off to the side to make room, I was ready to learn how to fight.  Oh I'm sorry, I mean, 'defend myself' as Luke corrected me over and over this morning.  Both of us clothed in sweat pants and tank tops, we were ready to do some work.

"As in...?" I asked, looking up into his serious green eyes and waiting.

"Where to strike your attacker when face to face."

I nodded and my smirk turned into a full out smile.  Shifting back and forth on both feet anxiously, I was filled to the top with excitement.  "Groin, right?"

He cracked a smile of his own and nodded.  "Among other places but yes," he paused a moment before he went on, looking at the space between us and taking a step back to properly position ourselves if this were a real situation.  "Now, if I am your attacker and I grab your wrist," he said, taking a hold of my wrist tightly.  "Do not move closer to me to defend yourself.  Stay at a distance when I grab your wrist.  Your first option would be to kick me with your knee.  If you are close enough without an option, you have a couple things you could do.  One being my nose."

With his other hand, he took mine and led it up towards his face.  Ignoring the burn of contact, I met his eyes in mine before glancing back to where he was guiding my had.  "Now, if I'm holding you in a grip by your wrist, you can with your other hand, go for my nose by raising your palm," he continued as he moved my fingers and tilted my hand up more until my palm was close to pressing just under his nose as he spoke.  "...like this, and strike."  Lowing my hand after showing me, I took note that he didn't let it go yet.  Whether intentional or not, I wouldn't complain as he continued talking.  Staring up into his piercing eyes, close to him, I tried to pay as much attention as I could.  "Now, you could also go for other sensitive areas such as my eyes and my neck.  You can use the outer edge of your hand for this with a tightly formed fist, your knuckles...." He raised my hand back up to show my what he meant, curling my fingers in the way he said to before dropping my hand again, this time letting it go. 

When he stopped speaking and watched me curiously, as if to see my reaction to this, I nodded in approval before I tried to nonchalantly say, "And of course with the groin...?"

He scoffed.  "You already know that move," he said mischievously, raising his eyebrows and it made my heart flutter in surprise.  Registering his words to be somewhat too playful, he continued on, saying, "The first night we met, when I arrested you, you gave a one hell of blow to my groin." 

After the words were out, I think he realized just how they sounded.  'Blow to my groin.' I shook my head resisting to laugh.  He didn't mean it that way and he immediately reworded it.  "I mean you really kneed me... Hit my-- no.  You did a good job defending yourself by going for my groin so there is no need going over that."  He groaned and I could see a blush reach his face.

I couldn't stop my laughter now.  He just couldn't put it in a way that would sound appropriate.  Either way, I knew what he meant.  When he arrested me, I kneed him in the groin and it was effective enough, to say the least.

"You can't explain it without sounding dirty," I laughed up at him, biting my lip and seeing him smirk after a moment.  "Anyway, I take that as a complement."

Taking a deep breath, he went on.  "Alright, we should move on to the next thing."

"Good," I said.  "This is easy so far.  The basics were kind of common sense."