Chapter 6

Chapter 6

After playing with Jack for a while, I had to get ready to go. More so, we all were getting ready. Apparently, every year, there is Christmas at Jan and Mike's house and that was where we were going today. So far, everything has been amazing. However, just opening presents earlier was a large cloud of emotions. I could only imagine how much more overwhelming it will be at his parents house, with everyone there, showing their love for each other and having a good time.

With Jack laying down on my bed, his tail still wagging as I got ready, I couldn't help but look to him every few seconds and smile. He was just so cute and I just loved the fact that he was mine. All I wanted to do was play with him but I had to get ready.

I tried on the red sweater Clare gave me and though it was a size too small, it still fit good. With that, I slid on some black slacks and combed my hair out of the bun that it is always in. I knew that Christmas is a special time of year and it calls for dressing up nice (which I didn't do this morning for Church because I was mad). At least, that's what I was doing. I was going to be a wreck so I might as well at least look nice.

Brushing my hair out, I felt my smile return to me when I took one of the bows Luke gave me and clipped it in the back, holding some of my hair together as the rest cascaded down my back and over my shoulders. The beautiful necklace shinning against the sweater, I put on some make up and was ready to go.

"Time to go buddy," I said to Jack as I picked him up and started heading down the stairs where Luke and Clare was waiting. I caught their eyes fall on me. Luke raised his eyebrows and looked me over as I walked down the stairs and approached them at the door.

"It fits," Clare said, noticing the sweater I was wearing. I also noticed what she was wearing and I hated it. A nice sweater of her own, she looked beautiful. I couldn't stand it. She deserved to be ugly.

I sighed. "Yeah, surprisingly." I looked to Jack as I held him to my side and smiled, looking back up to Luke and Clare. "Can Jack come?"

Clare pursed her lips but Luke just continued to stare at me with an adoring smile crawling to his face as he refused to take his eyes off me. Blushing slightly, somewhat embarrassed at thinking I over dressed, I avoided his eyes and waited for his answer.

"Of course he can," he said as I handed Jack to him as I put my coat and boots on too (if we put him down, it would take too long to chase him down, he was so playful). "Everyone will be excited to see him," he said, glancing down to the little puppy as he tried biting at Luke's buttons on his coat as he held him. Chuckling, he moved him up more in his arms and it wasn't long until we were all in the car and heading to Jan and Mike's.

***

It was... so strange to me. But I'll start from the beginning when we first arrived.

Walking through the front door, I put Jack down on the floor and instantly, he was off to search the house and would find people ready to greet him. I took off my boots and coat as Luke walked in behind me, holding all the presents we got for his family (rather he and Clare got; I just managed a few cards). Walking into the kitchen, not seeing anybody yet, the first voice came from another room that Jack just entered.

"A puppy!" I heard Brooke scream throughout the house and heard other voices with hers by the time I walked in the living room and saw them all, sitting and chatting. There was a new topic of conversation now as I took in the warm room. There was a huge Christmas tree near the fireplace by where they sat, a fire roaring and all around the room were decorations. Christmas music playing as well, I took everyone in.

"Hey, Albany," Jan said with a smile after standing, glancing to where Jack was licking Brooke's face as she petted him and where everyone else sat and took in my new dog. Jan came up to me and hugged me and I knew now the correct response was to hug her back. "Merry Christmas, sweetheart!" She said as she held me tightly in that warm embrace that was already becoming too much for me. At the same time, I loved it.