Chapter 48

Chapter 48

It was too much, and all happening at once.  At this point, I just wanted to run away with Luke and grab Francis on the way.  It began to seem like the best option after a few days passed and everything seemed to be just weighing down.  Heavy.  And ready to break us at any second.  Things, at the very least, started to calm down.  We tried ignoring the issues with the group of ass wipes that wanted to kill me.  We needed to until Francis managed to set up a meeting somehow with this Pauly guy.  He was trying to get as much information as he could about who this guy was and how to contact him.  Until then, we were left 'entertaining' ourselves.  It was surprisingly okay if we could stay distracted.

Homework took up a lot of the 'distracting' time for me.  But when I finished up, I would look for Luke to entertain me - and no, not in the way it sounds unfortunately.  When I finished with my work one day and put it in my bag, I went downstairs with Jack only to find Luke sitting on the couch watching TV.  His feet propped up on the coffee table, his eyes were trained on the screen watching Cops from what I could see, staring at the back of him.

Coming down the stairs, I smiled slightly as I neared the couch and eventually came into his sight. "Hey," he smiled, looking up to me as I plopped myself down on the couch, Jack jumping up on the other side of the couch with me.  "Finished?"

"Yeah, finally," I said.

"You're turning me into someone I'm not," he said, all too seriously that it made me raise a brow when he spoke those words.  His neck craning, he looked down to me from where I was sitting next to him now.

"Really?" I crossed my arms.  This should be good.

"Yeah... my attention resorts to TV now apparently and not my book I'm trying to finish," he said, nodding to the closed thick book sitting on the coffee table.  I chuckled slightly.

"That's how it should be.  Reading is boring.  You went up a notch on the 'cool' scale officer."

"I am not proud I picked Cops over a book," he said, lips tilting up slightly.  A moment of silence passed between us after that, and our attention mindlessly moved to the screen.  We watched through the screen a cop tackle someone to the ground, followed by several other cops surrounding the scene.  I smirked.  I can't watch this show without thinking about Luke.

"What do you think, am I better than these amateurs?" he asked down to me.  His green sweet eyes held mine in amusement.  It was nice to have this moment between us.  After all, lately our thoughts are filled with nothing but worry over Francis and when we are together, we are talking about what could happen.  I was welcoming this.

I turned more towards him.  "Eh..."  I pretended to think it over for  moment.  "Yeah," I decided. 

"Why did it take you so long to answer?" he asked, in an offended voice. 

"Well... if I recall, you didn't tackle me like that when you arrested me," I said, gesturing to the screen as I recalled the moment I first met Luke.  Very charming and didn't cause grass stains at all - sarcasm at it's finest, ladies and gents. 

"Excuse me?" he asked, crossing his arms and sitting forward more on the couch, turning more towards me to stare at me.

I put my hands up, defending myself.  "Well... I did put up a fight.  If you were as good as they look to be, you would have had me restrained fully the second you came into contact with me."

"I did!"  He said in a higher voice, making me laugh.  "You struggled but I restrained you perfectly."

That argument went on for longer than I'm willing to say I'm proud of.  It ended with me laughing and him playfully pouting, with no resolution.  We went back to just sitting besides each other, watching the show until my thoughts eventually went back to our worries - what I was just trying to avoid thinking about.  There was nothing we could do until Francis sets up that meeting date with Pauly.  Until then, we were stuck in our thoughts.  It was an unhealthy place to be because it made us both get this sickly feeling.