Chapter 36

Chapter 36

"I still think breaking in would be much more fun..." I mumbled after I slammed the car door closed behind me, the cold air hitting my skin. The icy white flares scattered around us, falling to the ground. So cold out... ugh. Can't wait until Spring gets here.

Glancing over to Luke as he walked around the front of his truck to me after he got out, I heard him scoff softly and shake his head, looking down. With the wind rasping harshly at our backs, I pulled the collar up on my coat more and Luke did the same. However, his was the coat that went along with his uniform - a black leathery material with badges on it and even a place for his radio to hook like it would on his shirt, which he was wearing under it. Before we got here, he needed to change into it. After all, it would not look good if we come in looking for files when this guy wasn't even on duty. So he called in and was starting his shift.

The plan was that once we got the files, Luke would take me to Francis's house for the night since I needed to go to school tomorrow and Luke was starting work right now. I mean, it's not like I can hang out here all night with him without sleep and find a way to school on my own. Nope, even though I would rather do that. We already spoke with Francis over the phone and he said he would happily take me for the night and drive me to school. Of course, he had to throw in that it was probably because Luke couldn't 'preform' and I wanted someone that could for the night. That little bitch... I was anxious to get the files now because the faster we do, the faster I get to go to Francis's house and kick his ass for all his sexually suggestive and smartass comments.

We headed closer towards the building, the cement under us in the back and dark parking lot already covered in snow. I let that snow and the moon guide our path up towards what looked like a back entrance. Apparently, since he was an officer, he had to park in the back.

"You are one of a kind," he answered, responding to my idea of breaking in. "You tell me what your strategy would be, hmm?" he asked, looking down at me as we walked side by side up towards the building. Smirking, I glanced up to the building before me. It was an average sized building... but I knew it wouldn't be as easy as I figured I suppose. Windows were too high up... and there were always people here to begin with. Looking in the windows, all the lights were on... yeah, I'm happy we were going with Luke's plan and just walking in. I wouldn't admit it though.

"Well..." I said, looking over the place once more. "Cut the lights and go in shooting," was my final solution.

Luke scoffed and I smirked, looking up at his amused face. "Oh yeah, brilliant plan."

"You bet your ass," I said in a lighter, teasing voice, to his sarcastic remark.

Despite the teasing, by the time we reached the back door, I could feel the intensity in the air increase. After all, Luke was the most hated guy at the station right now. He would not be welcome here, even though he was now officially on the job. It was an abrupt change in the usual schedule the woman said that he spoke to over the phone. But it would work is what she said. I also had to guess he wasn't too welcome either because he is towing along little ol' me.

When we went into the station, I followed Luke as a guide; he knew this place all too well. There weren't too many people here though I noticed. Must be a boring night with nothing going on. I could change that though if we weren't here for important reasons. I bet I could liven this place up, throw a party, play with some guns - but only Luke's gun guys. I wouldn't touch another guys gun. I was already that faithful to him.

On our way up to the main level, we went through this huge room filled with desks and files, but not many people stationed at them. It must be where all the paperwork is done I would guess. I took in the windows that lined along the left wall, the few people here and working... but Luke and I quickly went through another hall and out of sight. Where we passed a couple guys. Almost all of them, I noticed, offered up Luke and me some dirty looks but they didn't say anything. Of course, when we climbed a few short stairs up to the main part and lobby of the place, that was a different story.