Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Francis's house was more than amazing. Two stories, beautiful siding the color of light blue, bright brick along the bottom.  A big garage, wide windows, and he even had a pool (though his yard was kind of small since he lived in a court with other big houses, spaced out evenly.  On the inside though, it was even grander.  Polished marble floors.  Yeah.  Leave it to Francis to have over the top fine marble, the colors mainly black and a sparkling olive.  With leather couches, a huge TV, and tables that were white marble if they weren't glass.  In the kitchen, the counters were plane, a good choice in contrast with the floor.  A stainless steal fridge and stove, it was clear how far he went to make this a beautiful home. And you're damn right Luke and I were going to have a little chat about our dumpy home in comparison to his since Luke is just as rich.

You'd figure it would feel cold inside such a house, but it wasn't.  It was like his parents house in a way.  You could tell he had money but it was comfortable too.  However, he went much farther in showing how loaded he was (money wise), especially with the marble, unlike at his parents.  It strangely fit though, like I said.  Francis wanted the best of everything and it worked; it felt like a home with the pictures of family and Brooke all over, the colorful rugs, the closeness and clutter everything seemed to be.  It was a different contrast - a messy and cluttered appeal in a rich man's home.  

As you probably already figured out, unlike Luke, Francis took advantage of being the son of a rich man.  With a big house, money, and no job.  Don't get me wrong; Francis would be more than willing to work if he needed or wanted to.  However he appreciates the fact that he is given the opportunity to not work and spends all his time with his daughter instead.  He loved being a dad (which was something good that came out of knocking that chick up) and spending his time with Brooke rather than work for money he didn't need.  

The only reason Luke works is because he wants to feel  normal and wants to put in the amount of work every other person does.  He likes what he does, his job as a cop.  At least, he use to.  The reason he's keeping his job now, as far as I knew, was because it helped with evidence and was an advantage to us.

And that evidence, was something I needed to uncover.  That's why I brought the file Luke gave me in my bag when I left the house for Luke to drop me off.  I wanted to look through it while I was watching Brooke - if I had anytime that is. Because right when I got to Francis's house after Luke dropped me off, I felt my heart lighten and the need to actually play with Brooke come to me after she attacked me at the door.

"Albany!" I heard her light scream come from across the house as she knew I was here.  I heard the quick patter of footsteps running, coming closer until I saw her run around the corner from the kitchen and to where I now stood at the entrance, in the living room.  Her blonde hair was up in two pig tails, bouncing with her as she ran around to meet me. 

I felt a smile reach my face when she got to me and threw her arms around me.  it was still strange to me, affection, and I wasn't sure if I would even get use to it fully but I was starting to enjoy it. I hugged her back after slumping down slightly to her height. "Hi, Brooke." Moving back, I looked into her pretty blue and innocent eyes.  "Ready to have fun?"

"Yeah!"

The next moment, I heard someone else coming from around the corner and when Francis came into my sight, I was a little confused.  He had his glasses still on, his hair was clean, clothes neat - or neater than they should have been. However, he held a black bag in his hand.  Walking towards me, he smiled.

"Hey, Albany.  I'm glad you could do this for me.  I feel bad for ma and dad always having to do it."

"Yeah, no problem," I said, kicking off my shoes on the rug and moving in the room more.  Nearing Francis, I looked him over again and he must have seen my confused expression and questioning eyes.