Chapter 45

Chapter 45

I was in my room, standing in front of my mirror.  Ready to go.  I looked myself over, making sure I didn't miss anything.  I mean, after all guys, how often am I on a date?  Never.  So you can shut up about it tonight.  I needed to look nice, which is not something often at the top of my priorities.  But tonight I was very paranoid about it.  Mainly because I didn't have a clue on where Luke was taking me.  So I just assumed it would be some place nice.  Therefore, as I looked at myself in the mirror, I think I did a good job.  I wore a deep blue blouse, with ruffles lining along the collar nicely down to the buttons.  It also shaped along down the sides too - and just where the shirt stopped and my black slacks started.  I guess I looked nice... it's not like I have a skirt or would wear one.  That's just too much for me.  Skirts make people vulnerable.  Enough said.

With his necklace resting against my skin, my long and cascading hair covered my shoulders and the chain of most of it.  I knew he would like that - that I was wearing my curly looped hair down.  I even went all out and pinned up one of the bows he got me for Christmas in my hair behind my head.   With a little bit of make up, I knew I was ready.  And apparently, as it turned out, Luke was ready at that moment too.  Because after I slid on some dress shoes, I heard a knock come from my door.  He was 'picking me up' after all.

Smiling, I went to the door and opened it... and was blown away by him.  Luke stood there, supporting a purplish-grey button up shirt that lit his eyes up like fire in contrast.  I felt my breath trip a little and hoped he didn't hear that pathetic noise.  But my eyes betrayed me as I just stared at him.  His button up shirt, tucked into his khaki pants with a black belt, showed more than I needed to see.  It hugged his chest a little, showing his muscles just enough.  And when I looked up to his face, smiling probably like an idiot, I noticed his hair was combed back slightly along the rest of his messy locks of hair or curls that gave him character.  He looked very nice, with that being an understatement.  I was taking him in the whole time. 

"Wow," I breathed like a dummy, without even realizing it.  I pursed my lips shut the second I said it.

My eyes weren't that ashamed to leave him though.  I don't even know if he heard me.  He just stood there, his eyes taking me in; his face, I noticed, went red when his eyes finally found mine.  Smiling to him, he just took a deep breath and tried controlling his smile too.  He didn't say anything yet as we just stared at each other and he looked almost flustered, which made me chuckle.

"Um..." he finally said.  "Here," he said, reaching out with his hand and I noticed for the first time what he was holding.  What he was now offering to me.  It was a flower, a lily. I still didn't understand what the big deal was with flowers.  But nonetheless, I loved it and it made my heart jump.

I chuckled at his loss of words and his curt gesture just to give me the flower.  Smiling brightly, I took it from him.  Seeing him finally smile when I looked up at him after I took it, he started to speak.  "It's.... not something I wanted to get you.  Well I did but I-I mean these were the last flowers at the store.  And I... well."  He took a deep breath, clearly struggling and I was a little taken back as to why.  "Damn, you look beautiful," he finally got out what I think he was struggling with - which was hard to believe.  I mean, I didn't think he really meant it but I suppose he did.  It's not like I dress up like this, that I wear my hair down as often as he wishes, and I never put much make up on.  His little lily he gave me as a back up in some case was just as cute as his stuttering words.

After he said that, he looked controlled again. I laughed, biting my lip and felt the flush heat in my cheeks.  "Thank you," I smiled, moving closer to him with the flower in my hand, spinning it slightly between my fingers.  Taking him in, it's not like he was the only one wacko over this.  I felt the need to clear my throat.  Drowning in his eyes after I thanked him and he smiled, I leaned up and kissed him softly on his cheek before moving back.