Chapter 53

Chapter 53

We were taking our time because it was needed.  We let Clare hang off him when we were watching TV as a 'family.'  We let her talk about her and Luke's time together before they were married.  And it was scary, just like it was when she did it before.  And like when she did it before, it made us feel a little dirty, even if we tried ignoring what she brought up.  After all, she was talking about him and herself romantically and in detail.  We didn't need to hear that.  But we put up with it, even though it made us a little paranoid.

But all of that would be worth it.  We took our time until this moment tonight.  To let Luke appear more comfortable with his wife.  More loving with her.  We wanted her loyalty and to doubt that anything suspicious was going on.  And all because of what Luke was about to propose at dinner, right now, tonight.

Like it has been lately with her, she was telling a story about her and Luke going out nearly every night and doing something fun.  And with every little story she told, it hurt me.  Because it sounded like she was on to us.  And because I knew that that same man she was talking about was the Luke I was with now.  He knew it took it's toll on me.  It took a toll on him.  And it really... started adding tension in the air between us.  We fought that tension but sometimes it just didn't work.  There have been days where we were perfect and so happy.  Then there were days that we just didn't talk much and were quiet around each other.  All thanks to the same delightful dinner conversation. Tonight was going to be different though.

After she finished telling her story, which I had to act as if it didn't bother me, it was time to start a new conversation.  Luke jumped in after she was finished speaking and his eyes met mine in a small second of hope before he spoke to Clare, who was seated at the head of the table.  "Hey Clare, I actually have a way we can make those memories and nights continue.  I know it's been hectic the last few months but I have this idea," he said to her.  His eyes appealed to hers and he grasped her hand in his where they rested against the table together.  Being pretty much finished with dinner, I pushed my plate to the side and rested my elbow on the table, my hand supporting my chin as I looked between them.  And as I watched... I just prayed she would stay cool.  She would either accept it, suggest something else, blow up and say no, or even call Luke out that he knew about Emily's body.  Either way, we figured that last one might be a little obvious to her and most likely to happen.  But we hoped not.  After all, she was still loyal in some ways.

Clare raised an eyebrow at him and squeezed her hand back.  Offering him an adoring smile... ugh.  "Sure honey, that would be great.  What is it?"

I got ready to act surprised.  After all, this was all Luke's idea and I had no clue about it.  At least, that's what it had to look like to her.  I had to act like this was the first time I was hearing this.  Then, because I didn't need to hide from Clare that I knew about Emily, I would maybe rub it in and push her.  Just because if I didn't, that in itself might be suspicious.  She knew that if I was just finding this out, I would be ecstatic and would show it.

Luke took a deep breath and offered her a shiny grin.  "Remember I said a while back that installing a pool would be a great idea?  Well," he said, and with his free hand, he dug the piece of paper we worked on yesterday from his pocket and laid it out in front of her.  It was a blueprint, a picture, and within it was hope that this could tell us the area Emily was buried.  Looking up to Clare, her eyebrows dipped in confusion then... realization and her eyes went wide.  Wide and full of fear.  I bit my lip, not knowing what she would do.  "I drew this up with a man I talked to.  He could give us a good deal and install it.  But I wanted to know where we should put it...." he said to her.  And when she looked up from the paper, pale as all hell, she met his eyes.  And they just stared at each other for a long moment and it made my heart jump.  Just go along with it....  It was time for a typical reaction from me.