Chapter 62

Chapter 62

"Too fucking tired...." I moaned, feeling his hand softly shake me.  Enough to rile me into consciousness.  I was still so very tired.  I didn't want to get up to make it as simple as I could folks.  Just as the memory of yesterday flooded my mind, I was even more determined to fall back asleep.  Bodies falling, Luke hurt, and more problems we needed to face than ever before.  Sleep was the perfect escape.

Laying on my stomach, I buried my face deeper into the pillow.  "I know.  But I have good news," I heard Luke whisper, gliding his cool fingers through my hair.  Moaning softly, I admit, that did peak my interest.  His touch was even more compelling than his words.  Sleep was a powerful drug though....

"Vacation?" I asked in a muffle against the sweet softness of the pillow and blankets around me. Because trust me, I believed that was the only thing that could challenge my sleepy body.

"Not yet, sweetie," he scoffed.  "But it's important, and good news, and you need to get up," he said in a harder voice that said he didn't feel sorry for waking me. Well screw him.  At the same time, I couldn't ignore that excitement in his voice when he had spoke.  Luke's hand continued to play in my hair as I felt him shift on the mattress as it moved beneath me.  "Come on, stubborn.  Get up," he said in a louder voice, kissing the top of my head as his fingers still worked against the texture of my hair.  "I'll make pancakes..." he said in a goading voice.  Ugh.... Damn him!

Groaning, I sat up, and finally, I opened my eyes.  Rolling over and sitting up, my eyes looked around me.  The room was still dark (but that could be because all the blinds were closed).  However, the bedroom door was open from where I took it in on the mattress.  The hall light was on and flooding in.  Was it still night?  I mean, I doubted it; he offered pancakes, right?  I also realized, night or day, we would have to keep the blinds and curtains shut for our own safety either way.

Finding his green eyes and his sweet face sitting with me on the mattress among the ruffled covers, I offered him a small glare, which he didn't take too seriously.  His eyes were bright, lips in a soft smile.  It was nice to see... especially after last night.  He was so worried about Francis, so shocked by the attack... and it's safe to say I was close to where he was in his condition.  At least that was a day behind us and slightly more foggy and not as vivid for me.  I was still surprised to see him looking happy though.

"Good morning," he said. 

I offered him a small smile of my own finally.  "Hi," I said, making him chuckle gently under his breath.  "Why are you up?" I asked, scoffing.  "What's the good news?" 

He didn't waste any time.  Taking a deep breath, his smile growing, he spoke.  "I tried calling Francis's cell this morning... and he picked up," he said, in a much lighter voice that made my eyes widen.  "He is okay," he sighed in relief as if saying it out loud made him feel better.

It made me feel better anyway.  My heart beat sped at the same time my smile and eyes grew wider.  I stared at him, searching his eyes to see if this could be true.  Because for some reason, I came to doubt everything positive in life going uphill from where it plummeted yesterday.  I think we both had a right to doubt everything.  But Luke was smiling and his eyes sold it.  "He's really okay?" I asked, swallowing.  I didn't notice how truly worried my body felt over this matter until that weight lightened that moment.  Oh god... just as long as he is alive, we can push through whatever.  Just as long as he is okay.

He nodded eagerly. He looked so relieved over his brother's safety.  As was I.  I was sure though that only went to the relief of his safety to being alive.  He was still in danger I was sure.  We needed to talk to him.  "What did he say?" I asked urgently, blinking and anxious, waving my hands even slightly as I stared at him.  He looked so... so much more calm, relieved, and happy compared to last night.  Who could blame him?