Chapter 40

Chapter 40

I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I think about both were called for in what we found in the file. My heart jumped in my throat when I took it in - but from the sensation of possible tears and wanting of release of laughter. My eyes had the first job though and that was taking it all in.

Oh, and I did, ladies and gents. I did.

Throughout the months, Luke has searched through countless files. I thoroughly went through the file he gave me that still sits in my room. Shannon took records from her work... we looked into every possible corner that was available. It was a long and painful process, without much success too. We found documents of possible abuse, yes. Shannon and I tracked the family history back to the 1600s that gave credit to our case. We even have a small video of her coming in my school when she attacked me in the locker room. And the biggest piece yet that we had as evidence was the video we captured in the house, when she initiated the abuse and we were fighting, which ended with me through the window. That was the most powerful piece yet. But we needed more, no matter how convincing that is. And all that... lied with Emily.

She was the center of this. And we had nothing about her up until this point. That changed the second we opened the file before us on the table.

Everything - everything - was here. All the stuff we couldn't manage to find. Right here, right in front of us. And it hit me in the stomach, in the heart, and made my eyes bulge at what was in front of us. That's how it was the entire time we went through the papers. It hurt and nothing was said. We just... took it in, read through the papers. We tried to process something that was becoming harder to do for how much else we've had to take in.

This did it though. This was the biggest shock to my system yet. Forget the knife fight yesterday, forget Shannon finding out, forget about the information we found on the sheriff. After all that happened in so little time, I was afraid of breaking; I didn't know how much more I could take and manage to let sink. This wasn't something I was ready for, at all.

Her birth certificate; the documents of Clare's health and updates when she was pregnant with my sister. Health records from check ups the few years she was alive. Security information, how she was treated for birth, and a doctor. There was a name for the doctor here too... and his actual notes. No father was listed. Specific health conditions were there and all the general information about the new baby. Everything was here... to prove my sister was here on Earth, was a real person and existed.

The first paper I saw was her birth certificate. And seeing that hit me so hard that I couldn't react properly. It was true shock to me. My eyes wide, it was all that reacted for a while. I was in a daze... because none of this seemed real when we started looking through it all. I felt as if it were a dream. From how unreal this was and because my vision was blurred and I had a headache the instant I realized what this file held. No thoughts. None really besides the shock of it. And I didn't look away from it either to note Luke's expression. He said nothing either though as we began to slowly slide the papers around us and take it in. Not one word. And not one was needed either.

Before me on the table sat my challenge and also my escape. We read through everything and all was silent but the ticking clock. My heart was beating in my ears, my stomach backwards, and my brain... overwhelmed and hurting. All I could do was stare down at everything once we were finished. At her name... actually printed on the papers. A name that I didn't really hear of because I was the only one that believed she was real. But the black ink on that paper, typed and sometimes sprawled in sloppy hand writing... was her name. Emily. And everything about her!

Nothing but shock. My eyes were the only part of me that seemed to work. It wasn't until I was just sitting there, done looking through it all that something reached me. I looked down at it all, and for the first time, I remembered Luke was there. I could feel his eyes were on me. But no words were said. Nothing yet and it showed the amount of shock, pain there was. I felt myself take a deep shaky breath, my first one it seemed like after I took it all in. Technically, the only 'taking in' part that was working was with my eyes. I tried to slowly let it enter my heart and I had a hard time doing so as I just sat there, staring down at it all. I had a hard time letting my brain take it in... but that was the first thing that worked after my eyes. Yes, that was it. Just my head that could process it. My heart was still off limits and there was a feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that told me so. I couldn't realize the full effect of it on me. I wouldn't allow myself.

It hit me. My brain, and slowly began to seep into the walls of my throat, down to my stomach, and circled around my heart where I wouldn't let that sweet and sour feeling in. It seemed to have thawed out my mouth though. I spoke for the first time and my eyes worked on their own as I looked up to my side, up to where Luke's eyes were staring at me. They met mine... and were numb. As if a reflection of me when I was taking in the papers. Now though, even though I wouldn't let it in my heart, I let it influences some of my feelings. And it wasn't good, wasn't natural, wasn't a healthy influence.

Staring into his jade eyes that just stared back, my voice was working out the words my heart wouldn't and head couldn't manage. But when I said what I did, that first shot of feeling hit me. And it was a sour taste of happiness. I gave a throaty, uneven, chuckle when I spoke. "You remember the first time I told you about Emily?" I laughed. "You remember that?"

I watched Luke swallow and his eyebrows slowly dipped down in hurt. At seeing my pain through the happiness I was showing. But it wasn't a healthy happy. Relief was there. But so was the hatred over the entire matter. I watched him take a deep breath of his own through his nose. "Yes. Yes, I remember."

I gave him a bright smile. "We were camping. You were asking me all those questions. And when I told you, you didn't believe me." I chuckled more, shaking my head at the memory. "Oh... but now you do, don't you? You've been on my side for a good while now."

"Albany--"

I chuckled and sat back into the chair at the table, looking down to the papers before me again. And oh, was it a great sight! A hurting and beautiful sight that sent my entire self a little... off. I was so relieved... so relieved... I could feel it in my bones, lifting. The wonder, the pain, that has been there... that I couldn't find the things to make her a person. I wanted to prove she existed because that's what she deserves. "Now, everyone will know she was real. Everyone will believe. My fucking god," I whispered, my voice breaking slightly.

I felt his hand come to rest on my arm and I tilted my head up to see his eyes, no longer blank. But rather a cautioned sadness there. He didn't say anything. But my smile that reached my face wouldn't leave and neither would the words. "We finally got it."

"Yes," he nodded, watching me carefully. "I-It's a good thing. But... Albany, you don't need to hide your--"

"I'm... I'm fine." I shook my head, looking down into my lap. And with my numb heart, I could feel the information, what this means, the relief, and most of all the weight lifted hit me more. The weight gone that was so free feeling... and now, so heavy at the same time. I didn't think I'd ever get this. I honestly thought nobody but me would know of her. I wouldn't be able to find what we just did. And now that we have... I was happy. Which is why I don't understand why I had that need to cry too. I get it was a shock, it is sad to know what happened, but I should and am happy. I'm happy.

"No. It's... it's alright. You've wanted this for a long time."

My smile was fading now and I tried keeping it up. I couldn't. I felt it start to invade my heart, attack it, even when I wasn't ready like now. And it hurt. It hurt bad. "Yeah," I gave an uneasy chuckle. With it, I began to feel sick to my stomach and everything all of a sudden felt very close. Very claustrophobic. "I'm happy. I just... I just want some air," I said as I clenched my teeth and tried to hold in my feelings. I stood up from the my chair, all the while scolding myself. I shouldn't need air, I shouldn't be upset like this, I should be jumping up and down in excitement, right? I felt terrible for not feeling more enthusiasm about this. It helped us more than I could want. So why the fuck am I being a cry baby right now?

Standing up, I moved around the kitchen entrance and through the living room. I was glad Luke didn't try to stop me, he knew I was having issues with this even though I really shouldn't be. By the time I got to the front door, my breath was hectic and I felt really hot, my body as if it was suffocating. I slid my coat on quickly along with my boots in a matter of seconds when I reached the door. And when I was ready, I swung it open, and was outside. I felt the air caress my body. That freedom, that relief of fresh air and the cold of bitter winter.

Closing the door behind me, I was facing out towards the parking lot of these apartments. Nothing but parked cars and a soft snow that was falling from the sky. The beautiful kind to admire, the big patches of snowflakes together. And looking beyond the parking lot, there was nothing but the fading picture of trees. It was so nice outside, and I was thankful to be under the jutted roof of a long deck that was in front of all the apartment doors. And the one I just closed, I moved beside it and rested my back against the side of the building, letting myself slide down to the dry but chilly wood.

My legs stretched out before me, I brought both ends of my coat together and tucked my arms into it. But I was fully welcoming the crisp and clear air brushing against the skin of my cheeks, crawl across my body and want in. It sent shivers along my body and I loved it. It gave me space to catch my breath, to try even just a little to accept what I just went through at the table inside.

Closing my eyes, letting the air kiss my eyelids, I thought back to all my hatred I had for Clare. That I still have. How much I wanted her to pay for what she did to Emily. Now it might be able to happen. She could go to prison, I could get my freedom as a sane person... I could live my life without her. And more importantly with the internal satisfaction I've been craving. I always secretly wondered if Emily was disappointed. That's where Luke and I are a like. We want to make our sisters that are no longer here proud. And I finally think I might have what it takes now to drive that through. It's just... ugh. Just so difficult to believe that we finally got it. We were on our way to locking her up with the biggest piece of evidence yet.

So why did I need air? Why did I feel like crying? Why was my heart hurting bit by bit as I began to let it seep in... It was flooding my body, my heart, but if anything I figured it would do so with pride. And I was filled with it, don't get me wrong. But... it hurt so much at the same time. I didn't quite understand it.

I was still shocked but as I sat there for a while longer, I could tell that everything was changing now. I knew this changed our direction. But I wasn't in the condition to dwell over those newly formed questions yet; I know my vulnerably well enough now, unfortunately. And I knew where my breaking point stood. So I didn't know how much more I could handle of all this, all so fast. But I would do what it takes to take Clare down now. I have what it takes.

My breath and the whistle of the wind drummed through my ears and nothing else. But after a while, a different noise came from next to me. Hearing the apartment door open to my right, I tilted my head to the side and looked up, only to see Luke come outside and shut the door behind him. Looking up to him from where I was sitting on the long stretch of the wooden walkway that lined the apartments, I saw he didn't stop after he closed the door. Supporting a coat of his own and boots, I watched as he moved the foot it took over to where I was sitting and without another thought, he walked around me to my other side, his small limp still there. And when he was there, I watched him slowly slide down the siding of the building to where I was, legs stretching out before him too. His shoulder pressing against mine now as we sat there, side by side against the apartment, I felt him take a deep breath of his own. And the absolute beauty of it was he didn't say a word. He knew he didn't need to. He was just there, legs stretched out before him like me, and his hand came to rest on my leg in comfort as we just sat there together.

I was lost in my thoughts still and just took comfort in him being beside me. However, I felt like a little sissy at the same time. Why do I always need him to comfort me? I should be happy too about this without feeling overwhelming sadness at the same time. "You know I'm so relieved about what we found," I said, looking down into my lap.

He sighed. "I know. I am too," he said softly. "But that doesn't mean this isn't hard either. She's your sister. You miss her and this offered you what you never had before. And that was proof of her."

I shook my head, closing my eyes. "I don't know why it hurts though. Are you really making me that much of a softie?" I asked, cracking a smile when I looked up at him.

He gave me a soft smile in return, his emerald eyes caressing my face. His hair pushed back with the gentle breeze that swept through, I noticed his lips purse. "No matter how much of an influence I have on you, you will always be a badass," he smirked, making me chuckle slightly. "But in all honesty, neither of us expected this. Neither of us were ready for that. And even if you were, it would have still hit you in a sore spot. You hurt because you're so relieved and you probably didn't believe this would ever happen. It such a huge step and it hurts, no matter how good this is."

I sighed, nodding and understanding where he was coming from. I felt my side press into his more and his hand that rested on my leg came up to wrap behind me, becoming me support instead of the building we were against now. The material of his wool coat around my neck, I pressed my cheek against his shoulder and took a deep breath. "I'm sick of you always being the one to take care of me," I said as I closed my eyes.

I was surprised to hear a throaty chuckle. "No you're not. You like it. You just don't want to admit it."

My lips cracking a soft smile of their own, it quickly faded as I stared out into the falling snow and the jungle of cars in the parking lot in front of us. Shakily sighing, I said under my breath after a moment of silence, "This changes everything."

Glancing up to his face from where I rested my head against him, I watched him nod slightly and purse his lips in thought. "You're right. And I know you're sister is proud of you because of it."

I felt my heart swarm again in the overwhelming moment at his words. Because it was all I wanted really. I wanted to finish all this shit for her. She deserved it. This changed everything but how that will surface, I don't exactly know. I can only put my faith in us and in Emily that we can do this. What Luke said though touched the pit of my soul and it sent tremors up my body almost. And it reminded me that I shouldn't be given all the credit. It really was him too that made this happen.

"She'd be proud of you as well. I'm sure Hailey would be too," I said, looking up to him. His jaw clenched and I saw that was a little hard for him to hear. But I'm glad I said it; I believed it. She must be. What's not to be proud of with Luke? He's done so much and it's because of his sister that he has helped so many people, that he has helped me.

We continued to just sit there for a while. And even if it was cold out, to me it felt good and I honestly don't think it bothered Luke. It was just nice to stop for a bit. I didn't worry about anything else for the moment and it was so nice. Just to sit. Still. And with him. Not moving, not wondering, not running. It was a deep breath we both needed and I welcomed it. I welcomed the peace it brought my tired body and soul.

Luke, I knew, was welcoming this moment too. He's been through just as much the past days that became overwhelming in every aspect. I think he even saw it in me when he spoke after that long stretch of nothing but silence. "We'll go to see those assholes that were arrested another day. We just... need to stop for a while."

I wanted to disagree with him, tell him it was important to push on. Because even though this moment was so nice and relaxing, what we found and what happened last night seemed to call for even more of a rushed response from us. Everything has changed, become more urgent, and we need to fight back with what we just learned. "Luke," I sighed. "You're not curious to know how those assholes knew we'd be at the station? You're not interested in finding out why they attacked you, how the sheriff could be involved, or how he is connected to Clare? Who this doctor is? We don't know anything about that yet and I know you want to."

"Sweetheart," he said, giving a slightly amused chuckle under his breath. Tilting his head down and closer to where I was resting against him, his warm breath brushed against my face as he answered me. "We both need a break. It's almost required at this point. Don't you think so?"

I nodded and sighed. "Yeah. I just... I just am worried. We know a shit ton more of crap is going on. It's making me anxious."

"I know. I'm nervous about all of this too. But it's just... so much at the same time. We need to let it sink in, just take a little break, and relax. It's not healthy to go on after everything, to push for more when we are struggling to handle what we already got."

I more than was on his side with that. I was just scared, to be honest. But I knew... that if we go after and uncover anything else, my brain will fucking fry. Less than a week ago, I was in a mental hospital. A week ago. And all that's happened since then makes me feel as if I am actually nearing a state of insanity, it's just so much. Any normal person would still be recovering from that institution. Shocked, guys, I'm not normal. But that doesn't mean this shit isn't building up way too fast for me to handle. And I know that Luke needed this too. It's because of me he's killing all these people. Like he said last night, it's a hard hit, to kill and most cops don't do it. That's not exactly what they sign up for. He killed close to countless thus far in my opinion and all this new information piling up didn't help his mind either.

Yes, we both need a break. Enough so, I suppose, to risk the possible danger of another attack or more. We needed to relax, take a break. And try to just... go back to a normal point in reality (or what we considered normal anyway). I wasn't sure how long that would last but it was needed.

"Okay." I nodded. "You're right," I said as I looked up into his eyes. "We do need a break."

***

We decided to go home. And though we both would have rather just stayed at Shannon's and not go home to Clare, we needed to. Even if we were taking a break, it needed to first be settled between Luke and Clare. And as shocking as it was when we got home, Clare was... welcoming. She didn't say she was sorry yet but she was happy Luke was home (and I honestly don't think it was fake either). She loved him, as sick as it is. It was relieving really to see her give in like that to him, even if she didn't say she was sorry. I guess her chat with Francis helped us out a bit. I'd have to thank him later.

At the same time I was happy to be home to see Jack, I was uneasy. After all, we just discovered a shit ton. Including that her and the sheriff must be connected somehow. With finding all those papers on Emily and her too... it made me uncomfortable around her even more. The moment I saw her when we walked in, hatred came over me but also a disgusted feeling. That she somehow covered it all up. And we uncovered it. Very unsettling, with knowing we have her so close to getting busted and couldn't do anything yet. After all, we needed to know more about the doctor, the connections... until then I'll feel sick around her.

Luke too, I knew, was uneasy. But he didn't show it when we walked through the door. He forced himself to stay isolated from her slightly but when she started to show a little loyalty in him, show her love, that she missed him and me... he reluctantly gave in and acted as if he was happy to see her too. I didn't stick around though. I went straight up to my room though where I figured Jack was. Luke needed to talk with her alone for a bit, explain what happened, and hopefully get that apology from her we had been wanting. Besides that, we weren't looking for any more. Just to relax and get back to a normal schedule (for now anyway) before we dive into what everything we aren't ready to handle yet. To be honest, it was hard to, even if we wanted a break. We knew the answers were out there. We just needed to ignore them for now. We needed to heal.

When I got up to my room, and opened the door, I felt my sore heart lift after the hurt it's been through. A smile spread over my face when I walked into my bedroom and shut the door behind me, my eyes fell on Jack, who was laying down in the middle of my bed, facing the door. As if waiting for me. I didn't like how he was shut in here but I needed to remember... Clare's got it coming. It's coming and going to put her right on her ass. My attention and energy rested with Jack right now.

At entering, and seeing Jack's tail wag like crazy, he jumped down from the bed and ran over to me, excited as ever to see me. Bending down and kneeling on the floor, Jack jumped up against me, straining to lick at my face when he started to climb up into my lap. "Jack! Oh my little Jack," I said in a squeaky voice, making him even more excited as I ran my hands over him, petting him before kissing the top of his head. "I missed you buddy," I smiled, petting him and feeling my heart warm from my dog. I loved Jack. That's all that needs to be said.

Coming to sit on the floor, he climbed up in my lap and kept jumping up until he was in reach of my neck and face, licking me repeatedly, making me laugh. "You missed me too?" I laughed. "Yeah," I said, running my hands over his fur, getting him too relax a bit. I was honestly glad to be home to see him; I didn't like Clare being the only one here with my dog.

After I said hello to my buddy, I heard the door just behind me open and when I looked up and saw Luke, I stood up and let Jack greet him hello too. Luke shutting the door behind him as I sat down at the edge of my bed, I watched with a smile, him smile down to Jack who was now jumping up against his legs, wanting his attention. His little legs strained against him, as if reaching for his thighs, I watched Luke bend over and pick Jack up in his arms. The little guy was just too excited... he kept licking at his chest and neck in happiness we were both home.

Laughing slightly, he neared the bed and set Jack down beside me as I looked up to Luke. Offering me a small smile, he said in a smaller voice, "Okay, Clare's making dinner right now for us and apparently, she needs to go to work early tomorrow morning so she'll go to bed right after dinner. Which will be nice."

I raised my eyebrow at his first words. I was suspicious right away. "She's cooking dinner?"

"I know," he nodded, looking a little paranoid. "I'm a little worried... but it's not like the other times she showed she tried to show she was loyal. It looks real. I seriously think she is sorry about what she did for how much it upset me with the mental hospital. She didn't say sorry yet but she looks... really upset at herself and is happy I'm here."

I sighed, considering it, and as scary as it sounds, I was on his side with his words. "You could be right. That's what I got from her when we got home. I just hope you're right."

He nodded, smiling. "That would be so nice if we don't need to worry about her trust any more."

It wasn't long after he came up and told me that that Clare was finished with dinner. And when the actual eating part came into play, it wasn't... wasn't too bad. We were all sitting around the table after making our plates of what smelt like burnt shit. In reality, it was just overcooked chicken. It wasn't all that bad though after I had my first bite when we sat down. I wouldn't admit that ever to her though, especially when she never bothers cooking.

At first, a small amount of silence existed between us that was uncomfortable. I tried avoiding looking at her as much as possible - because yes, she was so ugly, I didn't want my eyes to burn along with the food. More seriously because she reminded me of the events of today. It was worth coming home though. I didn't want to burden Shannon, especially now that she knew about Luke and I, and I was worried about Jack. School too, not to mention.

Clare was actually the first to break the silence as we began to eat. "Albany?" she said, getting my attention and I could already feel the annoyance in me over her. Looking up to the side at her, where she sat at the end of the table, her eyes were worried, showed love, and offered comfort. One word that could be two, guys: bullshit. I could see this part was an act. But the whole loyalty to Luke thing... I don't know but I think at least a part of it is true. Right now, as she spoke to me, nothing genuine was there.

"Yes, you gigantic piece of shit?" I asked casually.

She flinched at my words and Luke, who was sitting across from me, showed his own fake loyalty to her. "Albany," he scolded me harshly, making me want to laugh when I met his eyes. They showed anger but I knew better. "Don't you speak to your mother that way."

I sighed and rolled my eyes at him. "Whatever." Glancing back to Clare, happy she saw that little exchange, I waited for what she wanted to say. And as I looked at her, she spoke to me what we have been wanting for days now from her.

"I... I want to tell you," she said, leaning forward towards me across the table and stressing her words. "That I'm... I'm very sorry," he voice broke. "I-I-I just wanted what was best for you and I didn't realize what I was putting you in." She bit her lip and looked to Luke, her eyes this time I noticed, filled with love and the loyalty she couldn't show me in her gaze. Bingo. We got her weak, we got her victim to Luke. Just as we wanted. " And Luke... I'm sorry too. I'm very sorry and I know you might not forgive me. But I did what I did based on my love for my daughter. That I wanted to get her help. And now with what happened to you both now..." she sighed, looking back to me and between us. "I know that I can't stay mad when I love you both so much and when you both are in constant danger."

I wanted to smile evilly at her and yell 'sucker' in her face. But I just rolled my eyes, acting as if I didn't believe it - which I didn't - but also acting as if she didn't fall into a trap. Luke gave her a soft smile and looked into her eyes. "Thank you, sweetie," he whispered to her, reaching across the table towards her and rested his hand on hers that was on the table, squeezing it in comfort before moving back into his seat. "I'm so happy you said that," he smiled.

She nodded, sighing, "It needed to be said. I was wrong and I wont forgive myself for it."

"Good. Neither will God," I said as I took a big bite of my chicken, chewing it as I watched her oh so surprised face turn to mine in pain.

"Albany," Luke said, turning back to me in 'anger' once again. And honestly, it just made me want to laugh. None of it was real.

"What?" I asked in defense. "I'm speaking the truth."

I was ignored by Clare for the rest of dinner as she carried on a conversation with Luke. A dull one, obviously, that held no amount of interest for me but it was good. It was something that showed things were... well, they were getting better between then as it should. Luke needed to get her back on our side and take advantage of that. Do I think she is still suspicious of our motives? Yeah, probably. But this showed she was still loyal, she still wanted things to work, even if she didn't mean what she said. She still loves him and though that's a good thing, it bothered me. That's the one thing I can't stand: he's married to my mother and still needs to play that part. It bothered me because it sickened me to even think about them together and it also bothered me because I know how much he hates it now.

Once dinner was done and we cleaned up the kitchen, Clare was off to bed. Nighty night bitch. And for the first time in a while... it was just me and Luke, relaxing in our own home. I didn't let today bother me any longer. I thought about Emily all day, everything that happened, and now, I was happy to let the TV take my attention. Luke welcomed that too as he laid down flat on the couch (because it was the most comfortable for his sore body) and I sat in the comfy chair adjacent to him, my legs draped over the side as we watched TV.

Luke was the first to speak up after so long of nothing but the speakers talking to us. "Do I smell?" he asked, drawing my eyes and my confusion to him. His head resting against a pillow on the far end of the couch, I met his eyes in wonder. His legs stretched out before him, he let one arm go behind him under his neck as he watched TV. Other than that, he was completely flat; poor guy too, I felt bad because he is still hurting.

I snorted at his words. What the hell was he talking about? "Depends...."

"Do I still have an odor problem to you?" he asked.

I chuckled. "No, not right now."

"Then why are you all the way over there?" he asked, in a quieter voice, a tone that was purposefully desperate and pathetic sounding, making me chuckle.

"Dude, you're sore. You need your space. Listen to what your health calls for, not your dick," I smiled, shaking my head at him. Oh, it felt so nice to screw around with him after today.

"My dick doesn't call you to me," he whispered, still clearly understanding Clare is upstairs. "You hair does," he murmured, almost in open embarrassment.

I laughed. "What is it with you and my hair?"

"We have these bonding moments you just wouldn't understand."

I shook my head, glancing back towards the TV and the news that was on. "You're crazy," I smirked, trying to put my attention back on the screen. Of course, it's not often I watch the news anymore. After all, I've been on it this past week, more than one reason too.

He drew my attention back to him, making me want to laugh. "You make me crazy for you."

Looking to him, taking in the glow of his jade eyes playful in mine, I bit my lip. I rolled my eyes at him just as playfully. His lips tilted up in a smile, I could see the illuminating light from the TV hit his eyes and light up the bandage along his head. Everything else was covered under his Nike pants he slid on as well as his faded red tee-shirt he was wearing. Staring him down now, I scoffed. "Wow, what a line that was."

He laughed. "Did you like it?"

"Not bad. Try next time to put more charm into it," I smiled, loving how we could be like this with each other. It didn't always need to be over romantic with us; it's fun to mock it sometimes like that. I considered that romantic in itself in a way.

He chuckled. "I'll do that," he said, looking me over and in a quieter voice, he said, "I still want you over here with me."

I over dramatically groaned, reluctantly getting up from where I was sunk into the chair. All dark besides the TV lighting the room, I walked a few feet over to the couch and just as I was about to move his legs slightly to sit at his feet, he moved his whole body over slowly and before I could sit down, I felt him reach over, grab my hand, and drag me down to lay on the couch with him more. It made my heart jump slightly - one because he was hurt to begin with and two, because we needed to be careful. Clare is upstairs and usually, we are good hiding it. Or so I thought until Shannon proved us wrong. That did not need to happen with Clare.

He pulled me up against him, laying together on the couch, smirking. "You dumbass," I hissed, lightly hitting the back of his head as his arms slowly wrapped around my back. It only made him chuckle. "Clare's upstairs. You want this morning to repeat... times 10 and a trip to hell?!" I hissed quietly.

"Relax," he said softly, holding me against him softly since he was still sore. His lips a few inches from mine smirked and teased me, his eyes playing in mine. "I just want one kiss then you can go back to your chair."

I scoffed, shaking my head. "You're out of your fucking mind," I said but unable to stop my smile from coming. Because trust me, I knew this was stupid. Even if just for a second. And Luke knew that too. To him, one kiss wouldn't last for more than a minute though, which was true. "She's going to catch us, dip-shit."

He chuckled softly and shook his head. "She's in the shower. I can hear her," he said, then paused as I listened for a bit. And sure enough, just faintly, I heard it through the walls and upstairs the water running in their bathroom. I was relived and relaxed into his arms more on the couch. "Happy now? Dip-shit," he chuckled, bringing his mouth closer to mine and making me chuckle, shaking my head. But at seeing my welcoming smile, he didn't stop his lips until they brushed right against mine. "Am I aloud to kiss you?" he whispered in the smallest voice.

I closed my eyes, getting lost with how close he was now. With his scent of shampoo and the faded cologne on him. So sweet and... home. "I guess so..." I said softly and after I spoke, he pressed his lips the rest of the way against mine, making me moan instantly at just how amazing he felt. How welcoming his arms were and his taste as his lips moved up against mine.

We stayed against each other like that for a long moment, wrapping my hands in his hair and he did the same. So nice... so nice... and such a wonderful way to get lost. I still can't believe he is mine.... By the time we finally broke apart, I opened my eyes slowly and could still feel our breath against each other. Finding his beautiful eyes, I rose a hand from his hair and brought it forward, cupping his cheek. Sighing, I said with a smile what I came to find to be true after we got home. "I'm liking this break."

_________________________________________________________________

They need a break, even with all this information that could be available. They aren't ready to go after it yet if that makes sense. Plus, I miss writing everyday life for them :)