Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Today was going to be a big day.  And it was off to a weird start.

I have never been to church and I didn't want to go.  Clare said I might like it.  But like always, Clare was wrong.  I wasn't religious in the first place.  All this did was make me have more issues with it.  Starting with how fucking boring it was. 

Walking out towards the car, happy the Christmas mass was over and we were going home to open the presents, Luke was scowling.  He could tell just how much I enjoyed it.  He even told Clare that he thought it was fine if we didn't have to go if I was uncomfortable with it (though it just didn't interest me).  But no, Clare wanted us all to go together on Christmas. As if she was a good mother, devoted to Jesus.  I mean, of course her and Jesus are tight.  She killed my sister, beat me, lied, ruined my life... why wouldn't Jesus or God love her?  

It pissed Luke off that she 'insisted' I come but all he could do was bite his tongue - which I notice is starting to take a toll on him.  Today, especially.  It was Christmas and like he told me, a break was needed - but for him too I saw.  At least I didn't have to quietly take her shit where as he did. He couldn't even enjoy what was suppose to be a day with loved ones when his wife would be around us the entire time and he couldn't relax or even be himself. 

"So how did you like it?" Luke asked me after we got in the car, wanting me to tell the truth as he knew it was.

"Am I aloud to bitch on Christmas?  Will Jesus forgive me mother if I say what I think?"

I heard Clare sigh and saw Luke try to hide his smile at my words as he faced the window from the front passenger seat. Looking between them from the back seat, Clare answered me lightly.  "Just tell us if you enjoyed the service or not."

"Well, first I need to file a few complaints.  First, what the hell was with the bread? Apparently, this is the body of Christ.  They should do a bit better than styrofoam.  And if the blood of Christ is that wine, you'd figure it would at least give you a buzz.  And that's not the biggest issue.  It was so boring.  I mean honestly, you go to church because you are thankful to god that you are alive.  It shouldn't be sucking the life out of you."

"Albany!" Clare scolded loudly.  "That's enough."

I put my hands up in surrender from the back.  "Hey, honest opinion.  Something God should respect.  I liked the stain glass windows though. They were pretty."  Not to mention, another positive was just how good Luke looked.  More like drop dead sexy with his black button up shirt and khakis.  I swear, that was my first Christmas present of the day, just the sight of him.

***

By the time we got back to the house, Clare was still acting pissed at me for what I said.  But it pissed me off she made me go so I was aloud to bitch about it like I did.  I wasn't sure if she meant her anger or if it was a show for Luke.  Honestly, he didn't look like he cared and if I had to guess, he was on my side. 

He tried blocking out his irritation when the time came to open presents.  I was sitting on the couch, waiting as patently as I could while Clare was getting some coffee she didn't get the chance to drink earlier and Luke was turning on the radio.  When the air  filled with that old Christmas music while I sat on the couch in the living room, waiting anxiously, I really started to feel like a kid.  Like really a kid.  I was staring at the presents with a strange feeling of excitement within me.  I wasn't worried about anything; my mind was being greedy and I liked it.

By the time he entered the living room, a smile on his face as he was excited for me, I couldn't help but smile back.  "Well it's about time," I said.  Not caring Clare was in here yet, I continued to speak to Luke (it had nothing to do with her anyway).  "Anyway, I want to give you your present first," I said, seeing the surprise cross his face. His lips tilted up as well even more and I could feel a blush cross my face.  It wasn't often that I showed I cared or give people presents. So shut up about it.