Oliver's Story - Part 2

I chewed on my lower lip as Daye pushed back into the gym, leaving everyone around us utterly speechless. I’m guessing they didn’t know that Marty had been Jackson’s first. I glanced over at Sam. He ran his fingers through his hair, glancing at Judah and Vincent. Marty didn’t say anything. He was just as speechless as all of us. I’m guessing he was in shock too. He must feel like a complete asshole now. I mean I would. But then again, I wouldn’t have slept with my best friends boyfriend.

“Marty,” Judah began but Marty cut him off.

“Don’t,” Marty replied. “Ok. Just Don’t. Let’s just watch the game.”

We all walked back into the gym. Sam gave me a face as we moved back to the bleachers completely ignoring what had just happened. I was slightly happy that Sam wasn’t such a complete and total tool like I thought he was. I couldn’t believe he had apologized and actually meant it. Hell he even told me that he really liked me. I guess I could forgive him, but that didn’t mean I would be letting my guard down that easily. Sam was still a player. That wouldn’t change overnight.

“So,” Sam began. “We honestly do not have that much drama. You just happened to come at a weird time.”

“Oh,” I replied. “Everyone has their drama sometime but if I was Daye I wouldn’t have forgiven Marty either. I mean Jackson lost his virginity to him. That’s low. Hell I probably wouldn’t have forgiven Jackson either. I would have dumped him.”

“Nice to know your stance on cheating,” Sam replied. “I’ll keep that in the back of the mind when we start dating.”

“Dating? Are you asking me out?” I said my face blushing a little bit.

“Maybe,” Sam retorted. “If I was would you say yes?”

“If you were to ask me out on a date, I might say yes,” I replied a smile creeping on Sam’s face.

“Sounds fair,” Sam smirked as his eyes flickered back to the game. I glanced at the court too, cheering along with Sam, Judah and Vincent for Jackson and Topher – Even though I didn’t really know them well. But hopefully I would soon. Marty just sat off in the bench, his mind obviously on other things. I felt bad for him. He must feel terrible. It was obvious that he didn’t know about the whole virginity thing. I wanted to say something to him, but again I didn’t feel it was my place. Plus, Sam was very distracting. He kept whispering things to me throughout the game about how attractive I am and how he couldn’t keep his eyes off of me. He was being ridiculously sweet and not a complete ass at all.

He was working overtime.

As soon as the game ended, everyone went to the diner. Apparently it was some sort of a tradition after every game. Sam wrapped his arms around my shoulders pulling me towards his car. Everyone glanced at the two of us, raising an eyebrow. I’m guessing Sam’s behavior towards me was something new for them.

“You’re friends look completely shocked,” I retorted. “Do you ever go on dates? Hell, have you ever had a boyfriend?”

“Define boyfriend,” Sam chuckled. “I mean I’ve just never met anyone worth dating until you.”

“Oh you’re good,” I teased shoving him lightly. “What you really mean is that you’re not the dating type?”

“That’s the old Sam,” Sam smirked opening his car door for me. “The new Sam is willing to try anything including the whole boyfriend monogamy thing.”

“You have so much to learn,” I chuckled as Sam drove us to the diner to meet everyone. When we reached the diner, we slid into a booth together. There were so many conversations happening at once. I couldn’t follow any of them. It was mostly about the game. I was surprised no one had brought up the entire Marty and Daye fiasco. I was surprised Marty and Daye could even be at the same table.

“Jackson we’re going all the way this year,” Topher smirked. “All the way to the championships!”

“I was about to say,” Sam chimed in. I rolled my eyes. I swear his mind was only on one thing.

“Is sex always the first place your mind goes to?” Jackson retorted.

“Pretty much,” Vincent laughed. Sam chuckled.

“I need a smoke,” Marty said pulling his cigarettes from out of his pocket. Everyone stared at him for a moment before returning to their conversations.  We all watched as he disappeared down the aisle outside of the diner. Jackson’s eyes flickered to Topher’s and then to Daye’s as if they were having some sort of a silent conversation. Judah and Vincent were too busy making eyes at one another to notice.

“Someone needs to talk to him,” Sam chimed in. “He’s been quiet the whole time.”

“What is going on?” Jackson said in confusion, his eyes automatically moving onto Daye’s. “Did I miss something? Did something happen between you two again?”

“I’ll tell you later,” Daye replied.

“He and I need to talk anyways,” Topher said moving from the booth. “I’ll be back in a minute. Order us the usual.”

Daye nodded as Topher moved outside to talk to Marty. When they came back, everything had returned back to normal. Everyone seemed to be in a better mood. Just as quickly as they had come to the table was as quickly as they had left. They made some lame excuse about having to work on a project, but it was clear that they were leaving to sort some things out according to Sam. He was convinced they were leaving to hook up. Soon after, Judah and Vincent left along with Jackson and Daye, leaving Sam and I all alone in the diner.

It was nice being alone with him. He was almost a different person when he was around his friends. I guess he didn’t want to come off as too sappy around them. It was cute though.

“So,” Sam said tracing his fingers across the table. “About that date? I was thinking maybe you and I could hang out Saturday. There’s a carnival in town for the weekend and I thought if you weren’t busy, you’d like to come with me.”

“Sure,” I nodded. “I would love to.”

“Great,” Sam smiled at me. “Cool. Do you want to get out of here? Everyone completely ditched.”

“Yeah,” I replied back quickly following Sam out to his car. The air wasn’t too chilly. It was pretty cool outside actually. Sam shoved his hands in his pocket as we walked out in the parking lot. I glanced up at the sky to see stars shining brightly above us. I stopped for a moment, my eyes glancing at the shining moon. Sam stopped with me, looking up with me for a moment.

“Full moon,” he commented, his eyes flickering to mine.

“Yeah,” I said as he leaned in, pressing his lips onto mine. I stood completely still as he traced his hand against my cheek. My chest was on fire as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me close to him. I pulled away after a moment or two, my face a cherry red color.

“Sorry,” Sam apologized. “I shouldn’t have done that. I’m supposed to move slow.”

“Don’t apologize,” I said shaking my head. “It was nice, Sam, and this slow for you or so I hear.”

Sam rolled his eyes, pushing me lightly. I laughed sliding into the passenger seat of his car. Sam turned his radio up loud, as he drove me home. He sang along in a loud voice, serenading me the entire time. He was a complete goofball. I just shook my head, as he pulled into my driveway, shifting his car into park.

“Should I walk you to your door?” Sam asked curiously.

“No,” I said shaking my head. “I think I’ll be fine, Sam.”

“Ok,” he said tapping his fingers against the steering wheel. I slid out of his car and grabbed my backpack from the back. I walked over to his window, and kissed him right on the lips, catching him completely off guard.

“I’ll see you Saturday,” I said walking towards my front door.

“Ollie,” Sam smirked. “I’m trying to take this slow. You’re making this very difficult.”

I rolled my eyes at him, slinging my backpack over my shoulder as I walked into my front door, my heart beating a mile a minute. I had a date Saturday with Sam. An actual date.

Sam and I were going to be a couple.