A Party to Remember

Requested by tinagk

I stepped onto the all too familiar campus, memories of college flooding my mind. All the times I spent at the library, playing Frisbee on the quad with my Econ buds and all of my wild nights at the fraternities shifted through my head. I wondered if any of my Kappa Sigma brothers would be at this reunion party.  I smoothed my tie down, as I walked into Wood Dining Hall. A table was set-up outside of the dining room to obtain your nametag. I moved into the line quickly, glancing for anyone I knew.

“Last name?” the woman asked as soon as I made it to the top of the line.

“Samuels,” I replied glancing at the clock above me – it was eight o’clock sharp. “Vincent Samuels.”

“Samuels,” she repeated sifting through the box for a moment. “Here we are.”

I smiled as I grabbed the name tag, placing it firmly on my chest, before I walked into the dining room. There were a ton of people already here and none of whom I recognized. Had the Class of 2001 been this huge? My eyes flickered around all of the elaborate set-up tables with eleven chairs at each one. People were sitting, majority were conversing and the rest were kind of just wandering.

 Hopefully if I walked around enough, I’d bump into someone that looked remotely familiar to me from my college days.

“Vincent,” a voice said from behind me. I turned around to see my freshman year roommate, Dean. He still looked the same. His blonde hair brushed completely back and his strong muscular build hid behind a gray vest. He still looked good.

“Dean! Long time no see,” I grinned giving him a quick hug. “I thought I was at the wrong reunion. I don’t know anyone here.”

“Tell me about it,” Dean huffed taking a sip from his beer. “But on a good note, there are tons of hot single career women here. You know the intellect kind you like, right? Right?”

“Yeah,” I nodded. “Definitely! Thanks for the tip, Dean.”

“No problem! I’m sitting at table nine if you want to join,” Dean winked, his eyes following the ass of a woman that walked by us. I rolled my eyes as he followed her, deeply sighing. He was still a dog.

“I’m going to mingle around for a bit, but I’ll be sure to stop by,” I called out. The intellect kind that I like? After all these years, he remembered that lie. I still can’t believe that I had a crush on that guy so long ago. It must have been my hormones. I wonder what he would think if I told him I was gay.

“Nice save,” a voice said from beside me. I turned to see a guy in a suit, with dark hair and bright green eyes. He was attractive I guess but certainly wasn’t a Dean Masterson. I raised an eyebrow. Did I know him from somewhere?

“Do I know you?” I asked folding my arms against my chest.

“No! No! Sorry, where are my manners? I’m Louis,” he said extending a hand. “Louis Phillips. I couldn’t help but overhear your conversation with your - uh friend about the single women here.”

“And,” I shrugged.

“Oh I’m sorry,” Louis said glancing around. “Are you in the closet?”

My face burned bright red as I glanced around, making sure anyone I knew hadn’t heard. A smirk grew across Louis’s face as he nodded.

“I figured as much.”

“No,” I rasped. “I’m not. I’d just rather the people here don’t know. I mean they weren’t particularly friendly to the gay community when I went here.”